Gransfors Bruks 'Middle Carving Axe'?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I'm currently going through the research process of finding a hatchet/small axe that suits my requirements for; cutting small branches, splitting sawn wood into kindling and doing a little spoon and bowl carving. I stumbled upon the following axe which is marketed as a GB 'Middle Carving Axe' and was wondering if anyone here had seen this particular model before?

http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/sho...+Carving+Axe,+Red+Beech+Handle,+right+handed/

To me, it looks like it's simply a wildlife hatchet that's been re-handled with red beech in order to make the size of the head work better with a custom handle. Does this ring any bells? Is this something that's very much an acquired taste? I've seen and handled most of the GB axes that fall around my requirements, but I've not seen this one and therefore would welcome some pointers.

Thanks in advance!:)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Indeed I think you have it spot on. Clearly Maurice thinks it will sell better if he calls it a carving axe. I am a fan of the carved handles and think they are worth the small extra, in fact I tend to carve the handles of my axes in a quite similar faceted way. The wildlife hatchet does make a decent little carving axe particularly for those that find the weight of the Swedish carving axe a bit heavy.

edit I just read again and it has the flat on the left grind that the carving axes often come with now. I much prefer a more even grind and certainly that would be better for the multipurpose use you are looking at. I am sure most places that sell GBs would offer the wildlife hatchet with normal grind and red beech handle.

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Cheers for that Robin.goodjob

I think I'll stick on-track and go for the wildlife hatchet or the small forest axe. Do you have any other suggestions in terms of axes/hatchets which may be worth looking at?

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
yes- "there can be only one" ! from the Master
cegga-axe1.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE