Gransfors axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
I'm looking at getting a GB axe (or two).

Any advice on which one to get would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris :)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have one, and its the only one i have tried.. the wildlife hatchet is perfect to my eye, for my needs that is.
I like edged tools, collect knives ect.. i have looked for an exquse to buy my self another axe but i have not yet done so, i dont want to buy one i wont use and the Wildlife hatchet does everything is need!

that said i know some people prefer the Small Forest Axe as it gives the option of two handed use.. finding the wildlife too small!

it depends on what you will be doing i guess!

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Like the good reverend says.......it very much depends on what you want to do with it. Personally I prefer the small forest axe......Its small enought to fit in a rucksack, Light enough to use one handed and a helve long enough to get two hands on it when needed! If you just intend to split wood for the fire or the odd carving project then, as tomtom says, the wildlife hachet will serve your need admirably! I'd advise you to avoid the larger axes e.g. Scandinavian forest axe, etc..., unless of course your an experienced axe user!

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I have a Hunters and the Mini. I like both. The mini is really nice for backpacking where weight is a major consideration. We were hiking on North Fork Mt and on that trip we had to carry all of the water we would use. Rather than a khukuri, or my 1 lb Reeves axe, on that trip I took the mini. It worked well with stuff up to about 3.5 inches but you must use sort of a whipping action since it's so light.

First pic is GB Hunters, Firestone axe, Norlund and GB Mini. Second is GB mini in hand for scale.

axes.jpg

axe3.jpg

Just for the maximum amount of confustion, here's a Lee Reeves hatchet which is 12" and weighs about a pound and an ounce or so, and a Ragweed Forge hatchet which is 14" and 15oz as I recall.

nessmukians.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
And as beautiful as the Lee Reeves is....and it is.....if you order one now, you may just get it in time for Xmas!

I'd go for a Small Forest personally. I have a Scandanavian Forest which is around 6" longer, but it can be a little awkward one handed - great for reach when limbing though.

I could blather on about other choices (Roselli and Wetterlings spring to mind), but, first axe, you wont go far wrong with an SFA.

Holowdweller, do you have a link for the Firestone and / or the Ragweed forge please?

Thanks - Red

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I recomend outdoorcode for your axes got mine from there, tell andrew you are a bcuk member too!

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
I got the wildlife hatchet recently haven’t used it a great deal yet, but I’m starting to prefer it to my sfa, so far it done everything I’ve asked of it and its more portable. I carry a folding saw along with me to make for its lack of chopping power (compared to the sfa at least)

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
British Red said:
And as beautiful as the Lee Reeves is....and it is.....if you order one now, you may just get it in time for Xmas!

I'd go for a Small Forest personally. I have a Scandanavian Forest which is around 6" longer, but it can be a little awkward one handed - great for reach when limbing though.

I could blather on about other choices (Roselli and Wetterlings spring to mind), but, first axe, you wont go far wrong with an SFA.

Holowdweller, do you have a link for the Firestone and / or the Ragweed forge please?

Thanks - Red

Red,

I think the Reeves took me 8 months to get. I believe Ragnars site is www.ragweedforge.com and I'd reccomend his axes. They are cast but light and have a scarey sharp edge.

These guys have the Firestone

http://www.discountcutlery.net/en-us/dept_21728.html

This is the place that makes them

http://www.mcgowanmfg.com/category.cfm?Category=18

I would say the Firestone has an edge that is a bit too steep for me I really need to re profile it. It is also stainless steel and the whole axe is somewhat heavy. I believe the cutting ability is somewhere between a GB mini and Wildlife Hatchet although I believe it would split wood better than either.

Reactions: British Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've just got back from Celle, the next big town to where I am here in Germany, and by sheer luck came across a camping shop that sells GB axes!! I was amazed when I saw the Wildlife Hatchet (by MM) for €50 and the SFA (by LK I think) for €90, and got real excited.

But then I picked the SFA up and had a good look at it. I am hoping this was just a bad example of a SFA as the head was twisted!! I looked from the tip of the handle to the head of the axe with the cutting edge facing upwards, and the blade veered off to the right at the furthest end of the head, so the head was not running true with the handle.

Also, the grain of the handle turned in a clockwise direction towards the head, and not slightly, but by a great amount. I'm not sure if the finish should have been like it was at the bottom of the handle, the wood rippled, which looked like it would afford more grip in the wet, but it always looked to me to be a well finished handle in pictures I've seen. This put me right off of buying that particular axe and I asked if they had another example of it. They didn't but could order more if I wanted.

Can anyone shed more light on whether this is the norm for GB axes or if this is just a bad example of this axe?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
In fact, I've just been on your site Outdoorcode, and the axe wasn't a SFA but I think it is the Hunters axe. The poll seemed to be very rounded and nicely polished up, and this will explain the rippled handle. My bad, but they were the first GB axes I'd actually held in my hands and gazed upon lovingly with my own four eyes!

I will be back in UK in a few months, and as my folks live in Chapeltown, the Sheffield version, I think I'll pop in and pick one up from you if I may. I'll end up spending a forune in your shop I'm sure, so it may be toward the end of my proposed holiday so that she doesn't give me misery for the whole holiday!!!

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Now my old scout leader told me that axe's were left or right handed, thats why the head seems to twist. looking down the handle towards the head if the cutting edge goes to the right then its made for a righty and if it goes to the left then its made for a lefty.

Well I think thats right was bout 20 years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE