Grangers Fabsil liquid waterproofer on Navy Wool Greatcoat advice please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Hi, I have a Royal Navy Greatcoat that I plan to give a few layers of Grangers Fabsil liquid to, however after reading a thread here about Grangers Fabsil on Ventile fabric and learning that the Ventile fabric works by getting wet and expanding the fibres to create a waterproof membrane it has got me thinking that Melton Wool may work in the same process.

Would anybody know if Grangers Fabsil liquid would work well on the Melton Wool of a Royal Navy Greatcoat please?

I know that Melton Wool can absorb up to 70% of water and still stop water coming through, I just wanted to waterproof it as to stop it absorbing 70% of water to keep it lighter and keep the water laden weight down.

Any experienced knowledgable advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Alex.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There's nothing you can do to improve a Melton wool greatcoat, but almost anything you do will ruin it. The lanolin is not a bad thing to do with wool but doing it to a greatcoat would be a nightmare, and you'd have the lining, and all the other trimmings involved, covered in lanolin but not absorbing it.

In any case, a Melton coat of Royal Navy provenance will perform perfectly well just as it is; that's what they were made for. I wouldn't touch it.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
i imagine it stops the fibres absorbing moisture, and therefore loosening, or not tightening the weave as required to form the barrier.

as I said, I'm guessing, albeit logically!

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
i imagine it stops the fibres absorbing moisture, and therefore loosening, or not tightening the weave as required to form the barrier.

as I said, I'm guessing, albeit logically!

Thanks Dingo. Yes, that was what my suspicions were, much similar to the Ventile situation.

Apologies to all for these duplicated posts, my phone and the site are not harmonious today.

Cheers.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
There's nothing you can do to improve a Melton wool greatcoat, but almost anything you do will ruin it. The lanolin is not a bad thing to do with wool but doing it to a greatcoat would be a nightmare, and you'd have the lining, and all the other trimmings involved, covered in lanolin but not absorbing it.

In any case, a Melton coat of Royal Navy provenance will perform perfectly well just as it is; that's what they were made for. I wouldn't touch it.

Thank you for the reply.Well it was slightly faded when I bought it second hand, so I redyed it by painting on the Dylon hand dye solution, with a brush.

I was thinking if it needed the lanolyne added for improved waterproofing maybe I could mix a solution of lukewarm water/lanolyne and apply with a paint brush, and encourage the solution to soak in to the fabric.

May I ask, what is the expected affect that the Fabsil or Nikwax TX10 have upon the Melton Wool please? just out of curiosity, what's to expect if a silicone waterproofing solution is applied to a wool product please?

Thanks,

Alex.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I have a good M&S wool coat but i take it to the dry cleaners to sort out. It does seem to repel water a bit better afterwords but still wets through eventually.

Perhaps ask the local dry cleaners if there's a specific treatment for them?

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE