Grabbing a crab

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Hi all,

I'm looking to go clinking for crabs at low tide where I stay.

I've heard tales from some of the locals that all i need is to make a curve from a coat hanger and attach it to a broom handle then, just poke around in the nooks and crannies at the rocks still in the water at low tide and feel for something grabbing on,

Will this work ?.

Also there are no rock pools :( ( it is mostly shingle/ sand with a few rock areas)

Regards,
Cal

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i wouldnt use a ,hook rod, to get crab myself only normaly use them for serching out lobster,just take a thick pair of builders gloves if you are wary of being pinched, what crab are you after and for what purpose :confused::)

some places Hooks are illegal for use on Crabs n Lobsters as they can damage them so check your local by laws first

mine are 6mm Stainless rod with a 100mm dia 180deg curve hook
well where i dont use them any more (Diving ) i just use my hands once you know what your doing its easier

ATB

Duncan

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
some places Hooks are illegal for use on Crabs n Lobsters as they can damage them so check your local by laws first

mine are 6mm Stainless rod with a 100mm dia 180deg curve hook
well where i dont use them any more (Diving ) i just use my hands once you know what your doing its easier

ATB

Duncan

:eek: while on a dive -i put my hand in a hole to pull out a rather large edible crab :eek: having got my hand over its back ready to scoop it out , it decides to tense up and proceeded to wedge my hand to the roof of the hole :eek::eek: but luckily it gave in after a few stabs with me knife !!:eek:

:eek: while on a dive -i put my hand in a hole to pull out a rather large edible crab :eek: having got my hand over its back ready to scoop it out , it decides to tense up and proceeded to wedge my hand to the roof of the hole :eek::eek: but luckily it gave in after a few stabs with me knife !!:eek:

Yep i can spend 10-15 mins teasing good size crab n lobster out of a hole

Lobster is not as strong but you have to be carefull to not just pull the Claws off

best one so far is a 6.5 lb lobby :D ....Thermidor for 10 :eek:

Crabs its best to be quick before they clamp up ....or Nip

ATB

Duncan

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Thanks Guys,

I didnt know it could be illegal, I'm not wanting to skewer the crab I was hoping they might grab onto the coat hanger and I could pull them out.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
Yep i can spend 10-15 mins teasing good size crab n lobster out of a hole

Lobster is not as strong but you have to be carefull to not just pull the Claws off

best one so far is a 6.5 lb lobby :D ....Thermidor for 10 :eek:

Crabs its best to be quick before they clamp up ....or Nip

ATB

Duncan

I've seen this done, but soooooo don't have the bottle to do it myself!!

Sep 4, 2011
torquay
its a bit of an old post but i dive alot and grab alot of food,

edible crabs which are of edible size and are legal to take live in cracks and holes in rocks not on sand. anything above 3LB basicaly smaller just isnt worth the hassel and is normaly under catch size if on the south to south west coasts, the take size getitng smaller the further north you go.

with an edible crab ( 4lb and above) the best trick is to simply grab a claw and pull. oncee out of the hole flip it over and grab the back pair of legs, and old it like a purse. it will try to get you but cant reach.
the hooks used arnt fishing hooks but instead are larger blunt afairs to simply prise them out crabs will let go of a hook. you are better snorking to find them or all up scuba if trained. .

lobsters are much harder, needing a hook to pull themn out of the hole, and then grab the carapce shell flip it over and hold with both hands on the tail and legs area. the claws cant get you. DONT grab claws. small ones will shed them to get away resulting in a harsh deal for the lobster (they regrow but its long and they normaly die), large ones move fast and can remove fingers. and crush bones. had a near miss on friday night with a 7lber which was fiesty and well wedged.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE