Gränsfors Kubben Hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What do people think of the Gränsfors Kubben Hatchet? Been watching Ben Orford vid, he used the wildlife hatchet whish is the same blade bu longer handle. I'm gently looking for a carving axe ...

http://www.greenwood-direct.co.uk/default.cfm/loaddoc.253

413%20kubben%20615.jpg

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Elen
I don't have one but, personally I would go with a slightly longer handle which is good to choke up on but can still be used well of other tasks. Depending on money, GB are great tools but if money is tight look at other makers that do similar axes for less money. But if you don't mind the money then there is nothing better than GB.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I had one but sold it. The head is the same as the Wildlife Hatchet, so no fault there, but I just didn't like the handle. In use I found it somewhat awkward to use, but that's purely a personal thing as others seem to like it very much.
I do like the Wildlife Hatchet much better, as with the longer handle I find it to be far more versatile.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I had one but sold it. The head is the same as the Wildlife Hatchet, so no fault there, but I just didn't like the handle. In use I found it somewhat awkward to use, but that's purely a personal thing as others seem to like it very much.
I do like the Wildlife Hatchet much better, as with the longer handle I find it to be far more versatile.

I had the Wildlife Hatchet and never really used it, I found the SFA did most of the things I wanted a larger axe for. I sold the Hatchet and bought the Mini Axe, which I don't use much either, but it is an ity-bity axe and very pretty so I'm keeping it. :)

axes.jpg

Mini, SFA And Scandinavian.

Last edited:

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Just got one in post yesterday first impressions are good also have the mini and the wildlife and also an sfa gb axes are very good but ceggas are better my main two are my ceggas the kubben will be used for carving

Elen Sentier

Thank you everyone. Money is always difficult but quality does tell too so ... quandry. I imagine balance is vital with using an axe and can sort of imagine the longer handle may be good for that. My hands are deformed with srthritis so grip not good like yours and weight is always something to consider.

Carving is what I want it for, plus possible kindling making ... once I've got the hang of that I'll see if I want more. I don't think I have the body any more for chopping down trees!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I had a look at the Kubben for carving but I found it felt top-heavy so I bought the Wildlife Hatchet instead.
To me it feels to have a better balance with the longer haft.
I do fancy the mini-hatchet though.
If you like you would be very welcome to borrow the Wildlife to try but I don't have the Kubben.
Simon

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
The kubben is a bit of a handful if you've got small hands I prefer my Wildlife Hatchet so much so as I sold my Kubben.

cheers Russ

Elen Sentier

I had a look at the Kubben for carving but I found it felt top-heavy so I bought the Wildlife Hatchet instead.
To me it feels to have a better balance with the longer haft.
I do fancy the mini-hatchet though.
If you like you would be very welcome to borrow the Wildlife to try but I don't have the Kubben.
Simon

PM on its way :)

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi Elen i have a kubben and i use it to rough out some of my carvings. i think its a realy well balanced tool with a very sharp edge from new, choked up you can pare the finest sliver. its light enough to put minimum strain on you even after prolonged use. if you want i can bring it to North Wood for you to try out?

Steve

Elen Sentier

hi Elen i have a kubben and i use it to rough out some of my carvings. i think its a realy well balanced tool with a very sharp edge from new, choked up you can pare the finest sliver. its light enough to put minimum strain on you even after prolonged use. if you want i can bring it to North Wood for you to try out?

Steve

Steve, it's still on the list but I'm walking slowly. Hopefully you'll have an axe or two I can look at North Wood, and otther folks too. Carving is certainly calling to me :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I tried the Kubben for carving, didn't like it as it felt unbalanced to me and didn't allow for the range of grips i use when carving, ie chocking up the grip under the head for max control and fine cuts or holding the helve near the poll for more effective and powerful chopping cuts, i also found, like i do with the mini axe, that i was having to force the axe at times rather than letting the weight and natural arc of the grip do the work, which is asking for trouble.

If you get a wildlife or similar, you can not only use it for carving, but a whole host of things too, where the Kubben may be a bit limiting, but, of course, what's good for one is sometimes no good for someone else, so the Kubben may be ideal for you and what you want to do with it, try before you buy if you can and see how the Kubben & Wildlife suit your objectives.

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
Ellen, I have a Gransfors mini axe, the smallest one, which I bought second hand one day when I had a bit of extra cash burning a hole in my pocket. I wanted one just 'cos they are cute really, just a whim and when I got it / tried it I decided it was too light to carve with.

However on one of our spoon carving days we were one axe short and I had to use it 'properly' and once I'd got going it worked well and the real bonus is you arm and hand don't get as tired. I now keep it in my tool roll (it's that small) and use it often for my spoon carving. The drawback is that new they cost £10+ more than a wildlife hatchet. You'd still need a larger hatchet, froe or stick chopper for the initial splitting, but any old axe would do for that.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I tried the Kubben for carving, didn't like it as it felt unbalanced to me and didn't allow for the range of grips i use when carving, ie chocking up the grip under the head for max control and fine cuts or holding the helve near the poll for more effective and powerful chopping cuts, i also found, like i do with the mini axe, that i was having to force the axe at times rather than letting the weight and natural arc of the grip do the work, which is asking for trouble.

If you get a wildlife or similar, you can not only use it for carving, but a whole host of things too, where the Kubben may be a bit limiting, but, of course, what's good for one is sometimes no good for someone else, so the Kubben may be ideal for you and what you want to do with it, try before you buy if you can and see how the Kubben & Wildlife suit your objectives.

I have found that most of the short handled axes i've tried feel really unbalanced and a Kepis says you can use a wider variety grips with the wildlife hachet or similar...I have the Wetterlings equivilent and it's a great little axe.

rancid badger

I'd suggest that if you want an axe for carving, then go with a carving axe.

The GB one is particularly good at the job and while it looks large and clumsy, it is in fact very easy to use and not at all tiring in the hand when carving. It's also pretty good for splitting and general chopping tasks too.

Take a look at this video from a course I organised locally,a few years back with Robin Wood;
[video=youtube;mAthW-2IjsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAthW-2IjsI[/video]
we were all using the GB carving axe for the first time and I think we all thought the tool would be difficult to use. In fact it was a pleasure and very easy to handle.
It had a much more positive feel than the wildlife hatchet I'd taken along with me.

I think the Kubben is too small and light for carving, as you'll end up putting too much effort into making it cut, as opposed to simply allowing the carving axe to cut using its own weight.

hope this helps

Steve ( the one giggling at the end of the video!:eek:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Concur with what Steve says above, 95% of my carving is done with a Swedish Carving Axe these days, but i also have a Wildlife to hand as the square face on it simply better suited for some cuts than the curved face of the Carving Axe.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Of course, another option that's open to you Ellen is to buy an old axe/hatchet at a car boot or market and do it up, it's great fun to do and a wonderful feeling to use a tool that you have saved & restored.

I did this one recently

DSCN1097.jpg

Axe was £5.00 and i bought a new helve for it at the same place for £ 2.00, normally id carve my own, but as they had a box of helves that fitted perfectly, it made sense, especially at £2.00 to get one from the box.

The rusty old thing above, turned into this

DSCN1327a.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE