gps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Does that require phone signal Julia?

Yes it does. Viewranger is just an app for smart phone so it relies on the technology in your phone.

There are other devices out there that use the iridium satellite system to achieve the same function, but they are considerably more expensive.

An example of such a device is the Delorme inReach

Cheers

Julia

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Yes it does. Viewranger is just an app for smart phone so it relies on the technology in your phone.

There are other devices out there that use the iridium satellite system to achieve the same function, but they are considerably more expensive.

Cheers

Julia

cool cheers, i figured it was but as a memory map user i thought id check. You can get the SMS feature on the spot beacon now too

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire

Cheers

Julia

I'm assuming you meant the gps device was considerably more expensive than the actual app, not a smartphone? The device you linked to is only $300 which is considerably less then most decent screened phones.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I'm assuming you meant the gps device was considerably more expensive than the actual app, not a smartphone? The device you linked to is only $300 which is considerably less then most decent screened phones.

The Uk dealer has it for £225 plus the VAT (and shipping). Which isn't too bad. You do then have to pay your subscription, that is at least $25 per year.

You are right it is no more than a smart phone to buy. But, most of us already walk round with a smart phone in our pocket, meaning that installing a phone app is essentially free.

If you have no devices of any kind
then, best to go to for an inreach explorer....

Julia

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The Uk dealer has it for £225 plus the VAT (and shipping). Which isn't too bad. You do then have to pay your subscription, that is at least $25 per year.

You are right it is no more than a smart phone to buy. But, most of us already walk round with a smart phone in our pocket, meaning that installing a phone app is essentially free.

If you have no devices of any kind
then, best to go to for an inreach explorer....

Julia

I dont think the inreach is really a gps in the sense we are used to now. Its more of a rescue tool and doesnt have any mapping build in. You essentially view a plot overlay on google earth or similar to see where you went. I use my gps as a nav aid

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Who said anything about a iPhone? lol

I specifically said Android. They have MUCH better screens and much better battery life, well at least all the devices I have had anyway. You can also tweak them to give MUCH more life by lowering CPU and other power useage etc.

Have you ever used any OS mapping or other off-road mapping software on a smartphone (mainly android)? All the issues you name are specific to a iPhone which is more of a fashion toy, not a smartphone (sorry).

Fair doos. Not used an android phone... Mainly as I've spent too bloomin much on apple apps, something I do regret.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I dont think the inreach is really a gps in the sense we are used to now. Its more of a rescue tool and doesnt have any mapping build in. You essentially view a plot overlay on google earth or similar to see where you went. I use my gps as a nav aid

The inReach SE does not work that way, but the inReach Explorer has all the same gps handset functionality as the etrex, it just has all the sat comm functionality as well.

With my etrex I can get a sort of breadcrumb train of my journey, and I can get things like distance to waypoint etc... but I can't get a map up on the screen. I use it in combination with a map, it tells me I am at tr12345 67890, and I can then find that on the map in front of me. I can then say, I want to goto tr 09876 54321, and it says what bearing to take. Nothing more than that.

J

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Go on, recommend me a handset then ;)

Still like my Satmap Active 10 though

It's hard to recommend a specific device because the good thing with Android based devices there is many to choose from so you can choose one that suits you, not be limited to one design/spec.

I currently have a Galaxy Note II. If you're coming from an iPhone a Galaxy phone is a nice transition. I would also recommend a pure Android experience like a Nexus phone.

I have a Note II for the screen/hardware but don't really like the Samsung interface over Android so have flashed a more of a stock feel rom to it called Cyanogenmod which basically looks like pure stock Android but optimized more and extra features.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It's hard to recommend a specific device because the good thing with Android based devices there is many to choose from so you can choose one that suits you, not be limited to one design/spec.

I currently have a Galaxy Note II. If you're coming from an iPhone a Galaxy phone is a nice transition. I would also recommend a pure Android experience like a Nexus phone.

I have a Note II for the screen/hardware but don't really like the Samsung interface over Android so have flashed a more of a stock feel rom to it called Cyanogenmod which basically looks like pure stock Android but optimized more and extra features.

You're best bet is to goto a shop and play with the phones till you find one you like the feel of. A good UI is very important.

Check out the Sony Xperia Z1 or Z2. Waterproof phones are very much the future, nice camera to boot.

Alternatively I use one of These Waterproof phone cases for my android phone. It is designed for the Iphone, but my HTC phone fits in it fine.

J

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
You're best bet is to goto a shop and play with the phones till you find one you like the feel of. A good UI is very important.

Nah I don't bother going in as I very rarely use the default OS version anyway. I usually just flash to untouched Android or a mentioned earlier Cyanogenmod so the devices original UI makes very little difference to me. I only look for hardware specs and design.

That's the beauty of none-crApple devices, You can install one of any different launchers that change whole interface or you can change the complete OS to one that suits you. On my old HD2 that originally came with Windows Mobile I could use Windows "Mobile" 6, Windows "Phone" 7, Android, Firefox OS or even Windows desktop like 95, 98 XP via a VM for a laugh if wanted :D

[edit] You quoted me but I'm guessing you meant to say that to OP who was asking for recommendation?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE