GPS Software for PDA's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I've just got myself a new phone/pda (I think they're described as pocket PC's (with a phone). The PC part runs windows mobile 5.

Looking at the software available got me thinking about adding a GPS to it, but I would want the software to be more ordnance survey mapping than the "turn right at the lights" type of stuff.

Anyone know any good links for this preferably UK based?

Cheers

Pablo

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Memory map................Jon
bushcraftersfire9cc.gif

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I use Tom Tom for navigating around towns for work. In the great outdoors I leave the gps alone. I'm a map and compass man.

I find i am less aware of the journey when i am using the pda to navigate for me.

The screen size for the pda/phone combo might be a bit small for memory map.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I use an old IPAQ HP1930. I use good old TomTom for the road nav and use Memory map for sticking the old OS 1:25000 on for walking etc. I always use a map and compass to get from A to B, but like the back up of a GPS that can tell distance, waypoints, plotting points of interest etc. The only problem is cost of the software and finding a good compatible GPS unit to go with your PDA.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
The problem could be as said below is finding a GPS reciever to go with the phone. Most for the "full size" pda's are jackets that fit around the device. The only ones i've seen for phones are fag packet sized recievers designed for vehicle use, most are bluetooth connection so it would eat your batteries too.
Most are designed for street use too, my advice would be a cheap e-trex gps unit if your dead set on one.
I'm with Wayne however, having had a GPS unit go haywire on me before i prefer a map and compass....it's never run out of battery power yet :)

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
This may be of interest to you. I had a good look at this at the outdoors show and was quite impressed.

http://www.viewranger.com/

Also seen that orange have just launched a new service called Wayfinder which is £59 up front and then I think £1 every two weeks, this seems to be a cheaper way to get the GPS box you will need for use with the PDA

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have a nokia 5140i with the express on gps cover , it works ok (if you can see the sky) but is only accurate to 33m . I am still not proficient enough with it so couldnt give a full review, but it works as a back up
Pumbaa

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Pumbaa, I have the 5140 too and have been toying with getting the gps shell, but not seen one working, only seen them on ebay.
Do you reckon they are worth the money, do you have to subscribe to services for maps or do they use decent software?
I want it because it seems a handy bit of kit as I carry the phone always and to have gps,in the car or out and about, without anything extra to carry seems a good idea! Just not sure if it is a useful bit of kit or a gimmick as none of the shops seem to carry it.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
The unit can be pricey (think mine was £60) ,, but functions like a normal gps unit . Not quite as accurate though .It does have a road map nav thingy but that costs extra so havnt used it yet . Basicly it gives you your long and lat figures , and i am not sure if/how to convert that to me map so havnt really put it through its paces
Pumbaa

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Hmmm, sounds like it will be best to see one working before I buy. Lat and long doesn't do it for me either! I have seen very little about them, and it was part the reason I got the phone in the first place. I have used my brothers 6600 with a gps unit that has tom tom software and I was impressed with it, I was hoping this would be similar.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
The other problem that should be considered is battery life. Some of the GPS units can either use little or a lot of the units battery life (especially if you use a PDA/phone combo), thus rendering it pretty useless when out and about. I use a battery extender for my PDA which extends the 3 hour battery life by three to five times (fine for a good day out) depending on power consumption. Also I would reccomend some sort of container (Aquapac) to house the unit, if its pouring down you will have trouble reading where you are going if used as a primary compass.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE