GPS/Sat nav phone???

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'm sure some of you more techy/ 'gadgets and gizmo' type people will know the answer to this one... ;)
It seems to me that a couple of the most important/ useful safety gizmos around are a mobile phone and a GPS - certainly in the UK anyway, perhaps less use in the desert.

Are there any 'smart phones' out there that encompass not only a GPS but also a sat nav system that can be programmed like a normal Tomtom etc?
It strikes me as an obvious answer to the business man to have these things in the one package - let alone us bushcrafters!

I know a couple of people do watches with GPS's built in. I was thinking the large(er) screen of a phone would allow a much better view for the sat nav though. I'm sure the internals of both would fit into an average sized phone case so size shouldn't be an issue.

Any ideas or have I just stumbled on my goldmine ???

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Ah I thought someone would have thought of it first !!!
Wow ! not cheap though are they :eek:

Cheers guys :)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
leon-1 said:
Here you go Mark a cheapy from Garmin:eek:

Got one :D
Discontinued in this country though. Great thing is, it looks like a brick phone, so everyone assumes that it is an old heap of junk. One useful thing, is in an emergency you can SMS your grid referance to another phone...

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Nokia 5140/5140i has an add on GPS cover, but not seen it any shops to check how good it is, only seen it on ebay. I have the phone, with built in compass and torch, but haven't got the GPS bit.
My brother uses a nokia 6600 with a blue tooth sat nav receiver about half the size of the phone in his van and that has tom tom. There are various smart phones that you can link the sat receiver to via blue tooth I beleive.

Beech Nut

Forager
Apr 27, 2006
Basingstoke
Best thing I know of is the Imate Jam smart phone with TomTom mobile installed.
Just need a tiny little bluetooth GPS unit and your away.

Heres a Jam on ebay Jam

heres a bluetooth module gps

add tom tom mobile 5 and you have everything you would need.

hope his helps

Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE