Got myself a Polish Army Tipi! (A few pics :) )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Snip >One other point to note, is that a candle lantern is perfect for them and even warms them up well.

That and a glitterball and " Party":lmao::lmao:

mylavvusetup008.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not with these ones. They are 2 ponchos fastened together to make a 2 man tent. There would be no allowance for a height increase and all you would achieve by fastening more together would be more space around the edges that is too low to be useful for anything other than feet :D

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
For some reason I still can't get my mind over this buttoning.. The inside is where the pole pockets are correct?
The pics have helped somewhat but when I have what I believe outside ot be out everything is the mirror image.
So I've buttoned it up but on the 'inside' there's still a row of unused buttons.

And the air vents/arm holes are buttoned outside? hmmm.. fingers crossed its dry tomorrow so I can try this outside again..

Feeling pretty dumb at the mo! :S

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Really need to make myself one of those stoves Addo. How do they cope?

Very good is the AT-AT Stove. Just the right size.
Not too hot on tick over, hot enough to cook on the top plate when stoked up and the damper open, if it gets warm doing this, the jumper comes off and the laavu door opened a crack.
Best night kip in ages camping, for a nesh fella like me.

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
Think I have this buttoning malarky sorted..
Seems I just needed to turn the pole flaps inside out,

Am I orrect in thinking that the extra layer like a bell is meant to be on the inside?

It does look really sealed now. If I wasn't so tired I'd actually go out and pitch it.
Maybe tomorrow.
Cheers

Mabs

Just found this
http://addos.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album44&id=s5001469. Seems I have it butotned right now and dang I want a stove!

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
For some reason I still can't get my mind over this buttoning.. The inside is where the pole pockets are correct?
The pics have helped somewhat but when I have what I believe outside ot be out everything is the mirror image.
So I've buttoned it up but on the 'inside' there's still a row of unused buttons.

And the air vents/arm holes are buttoned outside? hmmm.. fingers crossed its dry tomorrow so I can try this outside again..

Feeling pretty dumb at the mo! :S

i did mine so that the buttons on the arm holes are on the outside, my reasoning being that the arm holes arent used when its a tent, they arent really vent holes lol.

I wonder if the extra row of buttons that are in the inside are for when your wearing it as a poncho. I havent tried it that way yet

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
i did mine so that the buttons on the arm holes are on the outside, my reasoning being that the arm holes arent used when its a tent, they arent really vent holes lol.

I wonder if the extra row of buttons that are in the inside are for when your wearing it as a poncho. I havent tried it that way yet

Yes the buttons go on the outside, you will know when you have it right as there will be 2 loops hanging from the walls inside near the top for hanging a candle lantern or torch from

Its actually 2 ponchos, which is why there are more buttons. Each half is a full poncho.

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
just got my laavu in the post today (thanks Wannabe!) Just working it all out as regards the buttons thanks to this thread. Mine is a 1980 model I think

As a newcomer to all this do people generally use some sort of groundsheet for sleeping on?

What are thoughts on proofing these?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
proofing i dunno, im going to se how it goes, mine sems to be ok, would have thought it would be ok when wetted out, but i will prob try fabsil or somthing if it isnt.

Im planning on using mine in the winter when its 2 cold for my hammock, or just for a change. I have a large wool blanket.

im prob going to get some kind of small groundsheet to go inside then the blanket then my doss bag.

might try layering the floor with pine boughs or bracken fronds etc then putting the blanket on that.

i have a bivi bag to, but i dunno about that, its one of the belgian(?) ones thats a waterproof base and a duck cotton top part, crap for outdoors but in a ten would be ok i reckon, not a fan of bivi bags though

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
IPK sheets seem to be popular and what I use in mine. Pretty cheap and loads of surplus places sell them.

As for proofing; some have and some haven't. I did mine and so have others but there are folk I know that used theirs straight out of the box with no dramas.

Hope that helps Gareth.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
Finally got to use mine over the weekend :) two observations, i found it a bit draughty and the central pole hampered me with getting in and out of my sleeping bag!

If your going to be staying a few days in the tipi why not setup like a proper tipi, then you have no centre pole to get in the way.
I've done this with mine loads better to use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE