Got me a new toy

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Just picked this up, going to have a go at a little MYOG. Thinking some stuff sacks to start then maybe an SPE or a UQ mod.
Cant wait to get cracking, now how do I turn it on :D....

DSC_0708.jpg

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
"So, tell me again... How did you manage to stitch all your fingers together?"

Well Doctor...

Good luck.

Liam

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ha good stuff, seen alot of your stuff in the for sale threads. Guess I got a decent one then? It my mum's old one...

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Managed to download a PDF scan of the original manual. I've been watching a few youtube tutorials. Not the same model but Im led to understand most sewing machines are similar in operation? Just need a few free hours to sit down and muddle through it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've been watching a few youtube tutorials. Not the same model but Im led to understand most sewing machines are similar in operation? Just need a few free hours to sit down and muddle through it.

In so far that they sew things together... but sitting down and playing around with it is the best way to learn what all the various knobs and switches do :)

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Looks like a good solid machine.

Having a sewing machine can save you an absolute fortune. I've lost count of the amount of hammock/bushcraft related stuff I've made over the past couple of years alone (snakeskins, stuff sacks, tree-huggers, ridgeline organisers, pillows, etc).

Next few projects will be 3 each of bishop's bags and underquilts for myself & my boys.

Happy sewing (or should that be 'tight threads'?)

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
We recently got our sewing machine out of the understairs cupboard, it hadn't been used for aout 20 years, so when we tried to sew, it would have none of it. We put it in for a full service, and now it is like a new one.......I guess what Im trying to say is, get it serviced so you know you are working from a known good point, because you can spend many frustrating hours with a machine that looks OK, but isn't. Another really useful tip is to use good quality thread, the stuff from the poundshop will generally snag and mess you around. The machines can sometimes take a bit of setting up, but on done run like a, well, sewing machine!!.....

Paul

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Got given a machine by my step mum a few years ago,whilst here she ran through using it with me,and i managed to make a blanket liner for my bedroll,then when she had gone i thought id have ago at making something else,but like most things stemming all the way back to school as soon as teacher had walked away id forgotten how to do it! its been stuck under the stairs for 3 yrs now!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks for the advice guys. Think i'll have a play at setting it up today seen as the snow has turned to sleet round here :(

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you experience any difficulty threading the needle, a piece of white paper held behind the eye makes it much easier to see...

needleye.jpg

If it's the same as mine the needle threads from left to right which can be a bit awkward if you're right-handed. You may find a needle threader useful.

threader.jpg

You can usually get them on the aisle end sewing stuff stand in the supermarket

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
If you experience any difficulty threading the needle, a piece of white paper held behind the eye makes it much easier to see...

needleye.jpg

If it's the same as mine the needle threads from left to right which can be a bit awkward if you're right-handed. You may find a needle threader useful.

threader.jpg

You can usually get them on the aisle end sewing stuff stand in the supermarket

Thanks for the advice, I'm a leftie though so might be ok. Think ive got a needle threader knocking around. Ilk let you know how I get on :D

N

Nomad

My Brother machine has a little hinged hook thingy near the presser foot for threading the needle - very handy.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I'm completely clueless!

These older machines have two standards (or rightly more, but mostly two) of presser feet. Low-shank and high shank, I bet there are ways to measure this. But the thing is, high-shank presser feet are the same standard as todays industrial single needle lockstitch sewing machine presser feet. This means that you will have a HUGE variety of presser feet available for your machine, and cheap too! Domestic machines doesn't have compensating feet available, but industrial have, and there fantastic for neat topstitching, accurate seaming in general and are really nice. Here's how you determine it:
225861d1310515200-attachment-225855.jpe

Here is a compensating foot, looks like 1/4"
compensating-foot.jpg

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I picked up a Paff off freecycle a few week ago, still can t work out how to thread it though. Now on teh look out for a replacement for my mum as her Singer went pop, lots of thick black smoke and sparks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE