Got caught out yesterday.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Would there be any interest in doing a Group Buy of Medical Kit for an approved ( via consensus ) kit? I don't mind underwriting it in the first place and sorting the various kit out here at my location and posting it on ??

It would obviously require us ALL to agree on what needs to be included.

Just a suggestion. Like most of my suggestions they get discussed for a while then stuck on the shelf.

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
Would there be any interest in doing a Group Buy of Medical Kit for an approved ( via consensus ) kit? I don't mind underwriting it in the first place and sorting the various kit out here at my location and posting it on ??

It would obviously require us ALL to agree on what needs to be included.

Just a suggestion. Like most of my suggestions they get discussed for a while then stuck on the shelf.
I’d be interested mate

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Thank you all for the great advice and understanding believe me it’s all much appreciated.
the house is now covered once everything arrives, and the mrs will be familiar with everything inside the kit and trained as soon as possible,

I’m thinking for an Edc kit that will live on the shoulder of my backpack not to complicated or intricate and this won’t be my outdoor/bushcraft ifak it’s literally just to strap onto my Edc osprey hikelight 26. As a quick grab, oh **** kit.

1 x nars s gauze
1 x 6” Israeli bandage
1 x Celox z fold hemostatic gauze
1 x Trauma shears
1 x Cat t tourniquet
1 pair Disposable non latex gloves
2 x alcohol wipes
2 x iodine wipes
1 x elastic adhesive bandage tape
1 x acme thunder whistle
1x energy gel, quick release glucose gel pack

I’m still looking at pouches but I’m thinking the 5.11 3.6 med kit. Also Im very open to suggestions, ideas and criticisms.

Good kit that mate. I carry my edc bleeder kit in a Patagonia Mini Lite hip pack. Its on my waist every day. Super light, tucks out the way no problem and I don't need to take it off when I drive either. Its always there.
a2716d505d2178ac6ee78dcfe2316254.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Short_edc

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
Good kit that mate. I carry my edc bleeder kit in a Patagonia Mini Lite hip pack. Its on my waist every day. Super light, tucks out the way no problem and I don't need to take it off when I drive either. Its always there.
a2716d505d2178ac6ee78dcfe2316254.jpg

That’s a nice one mate, I’m still looking for a decent pouch before I pull the Trigger

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
That’s a nice pouch mate, I’m still looking for a good pouch, I do like the 5.11 tho, do you think there’s anyThing else I’d need?

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
That’s a nice pouch mate, I’m still looking for a good pouch, I do like the 5.11 tho, do you think there’s anyThing else I’d need?
I think the 5.11 pouch looks nice and neat and compact. Everything is eventually about personal preference.

Personally, I like the low profile look of the patagonia pack. It blends in and everything is tucked away inside. The 5.11 pouch looks like its designed to have the EMT shears visible during carry, which in this day and age may draw unwanted attention, (I don't know if this would bother you).

I also carry EMT shears, which fit snugly in the Patatgonia pack. I can't think of anything else that you should/could carry in your kit, it all looks well planned. Main thing is always having it with you. Remember its purpose is to control a major bleed, anything more is in a bigger more comprehensive first aid kit.

I view first aid in layers (like most gear related things in my life ). On your person is my bleeder kit, for that 'oh f***' moment. Next layer is my vehicle med kit, for that broken limb and to back up my bleeder kit if its that bad or multiple casualty scene. Third layer is on route via 999 or tasking peeps to go find more med kit........

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
So far that’s the way I’m going, most things I’ve ordered have arrived today, and I’m in the midst of organising it, I’ve tasked the wife with packing a grab bag for us (in case of an unexpected trip to the hospital or spending an impromptu night away from home) there’s a couple apps that are worth a look from the Red Cross one for first aid and one for emergencies, so the mrs will have those downloaded too.
Also a lovely kuksa arrived today, the reasoning I suppose I won’t be tempted to carve one again lol

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's things you can do if you have a break with only your bleeder kit I'm sure but what do you carry in your second layer car kit that's extra for say breaks? Is it really just a bleeder kit with more dressings and a few extras?

I have a pack kit, lifesystems trek FAK with extras added. Then the car is just twice as big but basically similar items. I'm thinking if I'm in the van or car then I'm as likely to simply drive or be driven to get expert help rather than do much more than what my pack kit allows. My view is that I'm unlikely to manipulate a break or dislocation only stabilise it at most. If I'm in the hills I'm calling MRT for anything the casualty can't walk of with, sometimes even if they can walk off I'll still call them. Life threatening issues are hopefully dealt with by the personal FAK, breaks aren't that.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
There's things you can do if you have a break with only your bleeder kit I'm sure but what do you carry in your second layer car kit that's extra for say breaks? Is it really just a bleeder kit with more dressings and a few extras?

I have a pack kit, lifesystems trek FAK with extras added. Then the car is just twice as big but basically similar items. I'm thinking if I'm in the van or car then I'm as likely to simply drive or be driven to get expert help rather than do much more than what my pack kit allows. My view is that I'm unlikely to manipulate a break or dislocation only stabilise it at most. If I'm in the hills I'm calling MRT for anything the casualty can't walk of with, sometimes even if they can walk off I'll still call them. Life threatening issues are hopefully dealt with by the personal FAK, breaks aren't that.
A bleeder kit is for the M of the MARCH principle....

M : Massive hemorrhage

You'll die from a major bleed within minutes. If you don't stop the bleed, you're on a downward slope. Even if its not arterial, just looking at your massive bleed will send u into a state of shock and you wont be walking, driving or talking to anyone until you sort that bleed out and get a grip on your situation, trust me. You won't be driving yourself anywhere with a tourniquet on your limb either.

Relying on MRT to drag your broken self out of a situation shouldn't be your plan A in an incident. Your are your own first responder and if you don't deal with a bleed instantly and correctly, you're dead and you wont be calling anyone......

What's in my vehicle med? Everything else for the MARCH principle...

A : airway. So I have face shields for CPR, pharyngeal airways in adult and child sizes, burns kit, larger gauze and bandages for bigger wounds or multiple casualty scenes,

R: respiration. For that I have a Emergency Airway Puncture kit, chest seals and a chest decompression kit.

C: circulation. Keep the body fluids. I also pack burns dressings and chemical flush kit.

H: head injury/hypothermia: a pen torch to check pupils. Eye covers, conforming bandages. I carry about 5 mylar blankets, pocket hand warmers.

So no, its not just a bag of triangular bandages....... and bear in mind that a femoral break is life threatening, before we even talk about shock....

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
okay so with personal experience in mind, last year I broke my radial head and Had to have surgery, that sucked but I got myself to hospital and now having recently had a bad bleed which required blue lights, I want a small no nonsense bleeds kit in reach because not having it in reach really scares me. Whatever happens I think a bleed needs to be stopped first, I have a lifesystems adventure kit inside my pack that I have adapted to fit my needs, this won’t just live in my car it’ll be carried as Edc, so the above kit will be a m bleeds kit at hand when the clock is ticking. I can’t say I’ll be able to use it in shock but it’s there for me or anyone else and in sight.my wife will have a lifesystems pocket adapted slightly for her in her pack so between us we should cover most situations that we will be able to treat. We will tend to use one brand so that Both kits and packaging is the same and there a good base.

Reactions: Onelifeoverland
I'm still of the opinion that this bleeds kit business is a bit of a nonsense but I'm happy to be converted and some of you guys have made some excellent suggestions which has really given me food for thought.

Here is an example though - who in our country is likely to suffer one of the most serious traumatic injuries? Let's say a soldier. What does the average British Army squady keep in his FAK? This is someone who is likely to suffer the most traumatic of bleeds in a worst case scenario - actually worst case is the ultimate sacrifice but you know what I mean. Let's say he has a sucking chest wound for example. Or a compound fracture (think blood on the floor plus 4 more - worth a Google if you are not familiar with that mnemonic). Either one is probably going to result in hemorrhagic shock if the blood isn't stopped pronto.

They carry a single First Field Dressing - that's one of those Israeli Military bandage things if your not familiar with an FFD anf that is their FAK in its entirety. Its pocket sized and can go everywhere with you, even if you are not carrying a bag. It can be used for packing a very bad wound or it can be used to tie a splint and they generally can cope with a pint of blood before they start to 'leak'. And I do the same, that is my bleed kit, everything else is in a main FAK.

----‐------------------------------------

As a slight aside, I may have missed this already so apologies if someone has already suggested it but a great addition to any main FAK is a Sam Splint. Essentially its some alu strips wrapped in closed cell foam. Excellent piece of kit for dealing with breaks and soft tissue injuries such as sprain etc. Its super lightweight, can be folded into any shape and it can be cut. It also makes a super dinner plate if you forget to pack yours

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE