Gossamer Gear G4 Ultralight Backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Hello :)

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this pack, or any other similar style packs?

http://gossamergear.com/packs/g4-ultralight-backpack.html

I've currently been using this 65 litre pack from tesco which is surprisingly good for the price!

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-rucksack-65l-multi/200-1498.prd

However, I want to make the transition from overnight stays in the woods near me to longer hikes. Next year I hope to go backpacking in Europe.

It seems the biggest drawbacks with the G4 are the thin material that wouldn't be so great in woods, the limited capacity in terms of size and weight (not necessarily a bad thing!) and also the fact that I can't try it on before I buy.

The pack is around 60 litres in total, and can hold no more than about 13kg. I aim to carry a basic sleep system of thermarest, bag, bivvi and 3x3 tarp. A small stove and brew kit, and food and water for just a few days at a time, resupplying as I go. For this it seems that the bag is perfect.

Another option I was considering was the Crux AK47, which seems more durable and versatile.

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/rucksacks.php?range=1&product=2

Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks for reading!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using a couple of ULA packs this year and so far they've stood up well to any bushwhacking, best move I ever made was getting away from 3kg military packs.

Teepee of this parish uses GG's Mariposa Plus which is a really nice pack, might be worth giving him a shout at some point.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi S'e'tonner :)

I've had the Mariposa plus pack for 2 years now (discontinued now-its the mariposa 2012). The plus is a bit heavier duty than the g4 and larger at 73l in my back size(large), which is why I went for it.

I wouldn't take the g4 round europe personally, I don't think it will stand up to the abrasion of being hauled in and out of public transport and I'd take the Gorilla or the mariposa.

Longevity wise, these lightweight packs are made to last the AT and no more. I mollycoddle mine and use a pack cover to stop abrasion and cuts in the woods.

Saying that, I'm getting good service but its showing wear in a couple of places as I'd expect from something so lightweight

DSCN0973.jpg

DSCN0941.jpg

The huge mesh pockets are just brilliant and the hollow pack straps a boon. Its comfy to carry unless it overloaded and I've found that putting spare socks in the pack straps makes it much more comfortable.

FWIW, its not as big as a regular 73l sack. That takes into account the mesh pockets. I can assure you with that kit list, it wont be too big. You can change the volume anyway by cinching the shock cord down.

If I were you, I'd be looking at the GG stuff (I do love my mariposa) , ULA as Shewie says are great packs and have a fantastic rep in the states and Ospreys range.

These packs are capable and up to the job, but you can't manhandle them or haul them up with one strap. This is the trade off. You'll also need a pack cover or thieves will be picking your kit out of the mesh pockets :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE