Gortex V Wax cotton

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ok guys and gals, what are your pros and cons on Gortex V wax jackets? I used wax for a few years, then switched to the wonder fabric of Gortex; don't get me wrong, I love my Berghaus, but am getting drawn toward wax again, I really like the look of the Barbour Commando jacket. So, please, people, talk me out of spending £200 on a jacket I don't really need

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Thats a difficult one, for me, these are two different fabrics for two different uses. Goretex is great for heavy rain in warm conditions or if you are being active or travelling light. It is very breathable and there is such a vast array of features, colours and designs that it really is difficult to make a choice. On the downside, it isn't the most hardwearing, dirt and age effect its breathability. The sightest spark in the wrong place can render it useless. It isn't the quietest of fabrics (not good for hunting or wildlife watching). In extreme temperatures (cold and heat), it can become more of a liability than it's worth.
Now then, waxed cotton, is warmer and very hardwearing. it ages well and its water repelency can be renewed as often as needed. It is far more resitant to fire and dirt (it can just be wiped clean).The designs, whilst not as varied as the goretex jackets, do seem to be more suitable for the rough and tumble of bushcraft, hunting and general use. They are less fashionable but more timeless.
But, it is heavy and can be too hot in warmer weather or whilst being active. For a good make it can be expensive and any damage can be pricey to repair. Many of the designs have weak spots that allow water to penetrate in heavy rain.

So there you go, a brief rundown of pros and cons of each. Hope it helps you in what you need. I've got an expensive goretex jacket, a triple point jacket, 2 wax jackets and now a ventile jacket. Depending on where i am or what i'm doing, dictates what jacket, although, wax and ventile seem to be the favorites.
(at the end of day its swmbo who dictates what new jacket i buy :(
Good luck
Baggins

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I bought a Drizabone and found it both hardwearing and surprisingly breathable, the trick is to hairdryer the wax into the fibres rather than forming a layer on top. It means there are gaps between the fibres allowing it to breath

I went off Gore-Tex. A load of people I know call it 'boil in the bag' I sweated badly in the new XCR. I made the move to eVent, and then never looked back, it's BRILLIANT - there's a deal on Song of the paddle at the moment. It's also being done by Rab - and they come in olive and black!!

I have both, my eVent for the hills, and waxed for the car when camping and around Wiltshire - hell of a lot of spikey stuff here at the moment.

Two completely different jackets for two completely different jobs.

I'd go for the one with the most immediate need and then save for the other.

No connection influence or kickbacks from anywhere etc.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
This link might be useful to some of you. It seems that Gore-Tex isn't quite what it used to be.

I've got far too many jackets for my own good. It's like an addiction, I've got everything from Harris Tweed to Gore-Tex. It's silly how no bit of kit, no matter how well engineered or marketed it is is ever 100% perfect. Different tools for different jobs. I gave my oilskin duster to a buddy of mine a couple of years ago to match his oilskin hat. Now he looks like a Grim Reaper. :p The link's definately worth looking at though.

Cheers,

Adam

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I wrote off my first Gore-tex jacket by wearing it in the car, the mebrane completely disintegrated where the seat belt crossed my right shoulder :(

I always remove my current one before strapping in, which is a pain. It hasn't let me down yet but it will one day when I least need it to. (Then its bin bag over the head time agin :( )

On the other hand my old Barbour lasted for years and years untilI left in in the garage one winter and it got mildew. :(

Its funny you brought this up my current boots are Gortex and I am expecting them to give up the ghost soon and rather than replacing them I am seriously considering going back to my old leather ones (30 years old) that are still in my wardrobe patiently waiting to be called back into service. I only retired them because they are a bit heavey and cold in winter. :rolleyes:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks for the replies guys, its pretty much what I thought, "pick & mix". Anyone here watched the TV series "Blizzard: Race for the pole"? Ran Fiennes talks about the qualities of Ventile cloth in arctic weather. The norgie team just got on with the job in hand, the brit team just moaned a groaned :rolleyes:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
A tad unfair Rik, I thought the brits were stoic, but had a much harder time - and who knows what editing happened - many here have experiences of that. The UK seems to be a world leader in peer bashing - esp on TV.

Good luck with the choice of jacket.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't think it was unfair, things like your leader saying "we love you" to one of the team after he had sacked the guy, is just a tad too touchy feely for me :rolleyes: They moaned about the food, the weather, having a blister blaa blaa blaa, what did they expect

It was good to see them using an Optimus 45 paraffin stove though, that cheered me up :) (the British Antarctic Survey still use them today for field cookers, reliable, easy to maintain and use and field serviceable)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE