Gorse bushes...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey All,

We're surrounded by Gorse bushes were I live. Are they useful for anything? Can you eat them? Heal with them? Carve them?

Anything anybody knows about the Gorse would be interesting to me.

Many thanks,

Bam.
:D

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Bam,You can ferment the flowers to make a alcaholic drink and the gorse bush burns well, take a drive down the M3 for evidence, no, not my fag end officer :eek:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Lol...yep, it certainly burns well... I live right between Junc 3 and 4 on the M3 so know it well.

But can it be used for anything useful in Bushcraft?

(Steve, lol...how did I know you're reply would involve making booze!!!! lol :D ).

Bam.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Well thats the only practical thing I know you can do with the stuff apart from burning it! I tried it once as a substitute for the birch twig thwacker in the sauna but could not whole heartily reccomend it. :D

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
cut the bushes at the base and then cut the top off

the bushy top burns like crazy but is gone in a flash

the sticks you can collect for fire wood

setting fire to complete hillsides is not to be reccomended , bushes are home to all sorts of critters and a nice place for birds nesting

rabbits will eat gorse when it is young and tender, before the prickles harden and of course they love digging underneath them

Tant

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
martin said:
Have a look here Bam

Thanks for the replies Guys....so far it seems that it is pretty useless.

Martin, cheers for the link buddy....but I can't make it work :( what did it say? (hear you have a new knife by the way....lol...nice one Matey :) ).

Tant....if rabbits eat the young tender shoot, do you think humans could too?

Cheers,

Bam.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Rabbits eat grass too, but as their caecum is larger they can break down the cellulose that we can't so not a good guide. Also on the same logic my dog eats cowpats. Does that mean we can? My guinea pigs regularily eat their own **** too....

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Spacemonkey said:
My guinea pigs regularily eat their own **** too....

How lovely!!! lol :eek:

I'm afraid plant lore is about my weakest subject, hence I'm asking. I know we can't eat things just because certain animals can (Badgers eating bluebell roots etc) but if I don't ask then I'll never know buddy! :D

Maybe you could do a little plant lore walk for me over on Chobham Common next time you're over there? ;) I'd be much oblieged :)

Bam.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
thanks space, dunno what that had to do with gorse but remind me not to let your dog lick my face

yeah i guess ya could try em bam, its a little late in the year for the shoots though

in springtime you can find one inch shoots or longer that are soft as grass although they look the same as the prickly ones, just lighter green

Tant

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
bambodoggy said:
Martin, cheers for the link buddy....but I can't make it work :( what did it say? (hear you have a new knife by the way....lol...nice one Matey :) ).

Cheers,

Bam.
The correct link is here which Martin posted:

PFAF- Ulex europaeus - Gorse

Always a good starting point for plant uses, eating etc. Check out the Good Flora & Fauna Links thread for more.

You can use Gorse flowers in a salad. I love the smell of Gorse which always smell strongly of coconut to me or more precisely 'Hawaiian Tropic' sun oil :D
They really add a great splash of yellow to a salad. Roger Phillips mentions 'Gorse Flower Wine' and also gives a recipe for:
Gorse Flower Tea

Put 2 tablespoons of freshly picked gorse flowers in a mug of boiling water. Bruise the flowers before adding the water and infuse for 7 to 10 minutes, then strain. The tea can be sweetened with honey if desired. If the flowers are dried, use only a tablespoon per mug of water.
source: 'Wild Food' . Roger Phillips. Pan Books.

The name Gorse comes from the Anglo-Saxon 'gorst' which means a 'waste, which refers to the open moorland on which it is found. Gorse was traditionally burnt to help provide nutrient for the soil, keep the gorse bushes from covering the grass for the cattle or sheep. In many ways 'controlled' burning is a useful management tool not just for farming but for wildlife too. I would not consider the fag end dropped out of a speeding car such a method:)

More info here from the classic 'A Modern Herbal'. Mrs Grieve. 1931. Online page:

Gorse, Golden

Apart from tea etc, bushcraft wise this is pretty useful info as a good source of tinder
Fuel: Cut Gorse is an excellent and hot fuel and in places where it grew in abundance it was a favourite source of firewood for bread baking. Usually the practice was to cut it down once every 3 years. Since Gorse is an evergreen plant, the best time to do this is after flowering. The plant will grow with renewed vigour.
Dead gorse branches have always been highly appreciated by travelers for the fact that they will often burn even when wet and thus offer a good chance to get a fire going in damp weather.
source:http://www.the-tree.org.uk/BritishTrees/TreeGallery/gorsec.htm

and for soap making:
Soap source: The ashes of burned Gorse are rich in alkali, and they were formerly sometimes used for washing, either in the form of a solution or lye, or mixed with clay and made into balls, as a substitute for soap. Another association with washing is that many people used to like to grow a few Gorse bushes near their homesteads, so they could lay their washing on the thorny branches without fear of it blowing away.

Hope that helps ;)

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i'm suprised no one has mentioned the furse oven was not that long ago they stopped using them in the channel islands in fact was about five years ago the old boy at my work last used his they are large round ovens made from red brick they used to burn furse in them to get them to the corect heat aparently when you put a furse bush in and the sparks jumped all over the ceiling they were ready

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
most gorse that has been around a while will have sections that have died off, these appear as large brittle dry brown areas in the bush.

snap these sections of (wear gloves), break off all the branchs and arrange in a pile.

these so long as they are dry, will now light directly from a fire steel and become a big if fairly short lived fire (the needles catch in turn lighting the stems), then add your fire wood.

its how i start all my fires down on the beach here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE