Gorka 3 Russian Army Mountain Suit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I got my Bars Gorka 3 off ebay and for all I know it is a legitimate suit as im impressed with the quality and looks the part. Theres a way to tell with the writing inside the jacket i think.
Good suit though. Id prefer the hood longer at the back, and the extra windproof flap on the button up front the sso gorkas have. Can't fault it otherwise.
Ive never washed mine so cant speak about shrinking or fading. I just let the muck dry n brush it off n air it out. Ngl its covered in mud, charcoal/woodash, animal blood and wee and reeks of woodsmoke but still looks pretty clean.

The Sso/sposn suit ive just ordered ive ordered from Thesovietrussia.com as i'd seen lars from survival russia on youtube had ordered stuff from there and been happy.
Ive seen some people say they avoid greyshop as uniforms have not been up to scratch. Being too thin, etc.
Although ive also seen many happy customers from greyshop too, during my research. I just didnt want to take the risk.

Theres a fair few more that are supposedly good online shops to order from but i cant speak from experience. Russomilitare, armada store, etc.
Varusteleka is good but their gorka suits are way over priced.
60 quid just for a bars gorka 3 jacket or anorak when i paid about 60-70quid for the full suit with suspenders and a hat, n 20 quid postage. Despite the postage i think thats decent value for what is a very nice quality suit. N i dont mind getting it filthy and wading through the blackthorn and hawthorne or brambles with it.

Edit: the sposn suit ive ordered is 85 euro before postage which works out at about 30 quid (postage).
I also got a matching hat and suspenders which come separate. Mainly just to compare to the Bars suit. The bars suit is a jacket type and the sposn suit the anorak version so not 100% comparable but i will do so anyway.
(Bars and sposn do anorak and jacket versions btw, just fancied a change)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Thanks

Looks like at 38" chest 30"waist i'm Russian size 48

but are these sized so you can wear layers?

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Thanks

Looks like at 38" chest 30"waist i'm Russian size 48

but are these sized so you can wear layers?
About right mate i think.

i'm 5'9"
36" chest,
32"waist and leg.

My bars gorka is a size 46/4 which i think is equivalent to a size small, regular.
It fits me just right with room for layers, jacket sleeves come right to the wrist, legs are just right but meant for tall boots.
But i wouldnt want to go any smaller.

For the sso/sposn one ive just ordered i ordered a size 50 as that works out as a medium with 32" trouser waist.

I think the sizes come in a min/max size.
So a 46 is for someone sized 44-46 (small)
A 50 is 48-50. (Medium)

The suits are designed to be worn over a field uniform or warm clothing so they are oversized. So although you probably could get away with a smaller size for a tighter fit i probably wouldnt go down a size as they are supposed to be a baggy fit.

Another note is these are windproof mountain suits so while they are breathable they are not really for use in summer. Nor are they waterproof but more water resistant, its just canvas treated with dwr. The fibres do swell similar to ventile though but youll get soaked in a proper downpour.

Pictures of the "afghan" gorkas. Edit: theyre baggy.
8f5d5b8d103228145174c5ced710cbc6.jpg
16fc163637fe284e11fd10951cfb9066.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Hmmm nowhere seems to sell anything size 48

its all size 48-50

not sure I want something already designed to be over sized bigger

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hmmm nowhere seems to sell anything size 48

its all size 48-50

not sure I want something already designed to be over sized bigger
A medium is a size 48.
If you are bigger than a 46 i'd get a medium. Though the trousers might be a bit big at the waist.

It's all down to you. If you like, when mine arrives (48-50 medium) i can let you know how well it fits based off my sizing?

Im sure when i ordered off ebay you could choose the jacket and trouser sizes separately but i cant remember.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I know I'm a Russian size 48

my issue is they don't make a Gorka in a size 48

they make it in a size 48-50

which is 2 sizes larger, if they are oversized at a size 50 as is their design

my worry is it will be a sack of spuds on someone 2 sizes down?

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Well its a minimum- maximum size so you should be fine anywhere inbetween.

Also while the suit may be baggy, they have elastic at the waist in the jacket, a drawcord at the hem, elastic at the wrists and about halfway up the sleeve between the wrist and elbow. The hood has good adjustment as well.
And then the trousers have an elasticated waist (with a drawcord in the sso brand suits)
Elasticated ankles and elastic halfway between the ankle and knee. + suspenders available and they have belt loops.

So while its a baggy suit, most of the excess is tucked in. The trousers should sit high also.

I'm 5'9" and usually wear a medium so one store recommends a medium suit. But im also a 36" chest and 32" waist and my bars gorka is a 46/4 which is a small, regular. Recommended for a 28" waist and 36" chest and it fits me fine, i actually cant wear the trousers without a belt or suspenders if anything is in the pockets because of the elastic waist.
im at the maximum size chest for the jacket and i can fit full winter layers underneath, with a bit of spare room. So it will probably fit you, just not sure about layering. Youd probably get away with a baselayer n a thick woolly pully.

Reactions: Corso

Dingo greens

Apr 17, 2020
Germaica
I have a splav gorka 3 jacket ordered from greyshop half a year ago.
They replied to my first email, but not to the following mail.
I asked something about the splav gorka and they stated they don't have any splav gorka 3 in shop.
I ordered it nevertheless because of the save paying via PayPal.
It arrived a week later and I'm very happy with it.
So happy, I ordered a splav gorka 5 jacket this week .
But at armadastore, since the production of gorka 5 is running out and they are rare now.
The splav gorka 5 is the only one with an additional storm flap at the front closure from what I know.
Half an hour to an our rain was no problem, I stayed dry in my gorka 3.
From reading in several forums it looks like splav and sposn are the best quality and the most water resistent gorkas.
I will also get some pants made out of the gorka fabric but still need to decide which model.
The vdv pants with the cargo pockets on front are looking interesting.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Check spam folder.

no luck - I'll ping anotherone to them next week oterhwise i'll have to look elsewhere

shame as I want an Afgan Gorka 1 and havn't found one anywhere else

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE