Goretex bivi bag. waterproof?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jabbadahut

Mar 15, 2009
uk
www.8thcolour.co.uk
Just bought myself a second hand goretex bivi bag off ebay, the guy said its waterproof but thats easy to say.
so i was wondering if there is a paticular way to check that it actually is waterproof before i jump in the bath with it on!!!!

cheers

Apr 3, 2008
Eindhoven, NL
Leave it outside in the rain with a sleeping-bag inside, check the state of the bag when it stops raining.

You'll find the most vulnerable spots (corners, seams) and there are products available to increase water-resistance.

I wouldn't rely on mine to keep me dry in heavy rain, I would always rig a tarp if it looks like raining, but it is still an essential part of my kit because it certainly keeps the damp out and the wind off; and even the balmiest of summer nights, great for sleeping in the open under the stars, can deliver you a serious soaking with dew in the morning. A goretex bag will protect you from that, and they dry real quick in the sun, too.

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
I was told yesterday, when buying a second hand bivi bag at a bushcraft car boot, that if you pop it in the tumble drier it re-energises the coating.

I ran mine under the tap and the water ran off it like a ducks' back so I've not needed to try it.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I was told yesterday, when buying a second hand bivi bag at a bushcraft car boot, that if you pop it in the tumble drier it re-energises the coating.

I ran mine under the tap and the water ran off it like a ducks' back so I've not needed to try it.

I used to work for a couple of camping shops and spent time talking to reps etc but I'm afraid that tumble drying to it re-energise the coating is a bit of a myth.

It works on some breathable fabrics but not Goretex.

I'll try to simplify it for you:
Goretex is a membrane with holes in it's attached to a nylon sheet.

unless you physically make a large hole in it Goretex will always be waterproof (as the holes are too small for water droplets) for many hundreds of people it seems to leak but this is usually when water vapour is trapped inside(read below).

when Goretex is new has a waxy sort of finish(it is not wax), and water falls of it "like a ducks' back"(as you said).
after time muck, sweat, Grease (from your body) and general use wear away the waxy coating and dirt will clog the tiny holes (so you sweat more and hence get wet inside).

when it get's like this you need to wash off the dirt (with "old school" soap flakes), and re- apply the waxy coating (which you can buy from camping shops).
when you've re-applied the Nikwax/Grangers fluid you can tumble dry the item on a warm setting which helps to "melt" the waxy stuff on.

Other breathables (again not all) are different.
some are like a plastic layer soaked into the nylon this is the one that will get better with tumbledrying. (but it still needs to be cleaned first (with soap flakes). somehow the heating of the fabric changes the molecules back to a previous state(sort of like memory foam).

Oh and NEVER put wax or silicon spray on breathable fabric it ruins it, you can't get the stuff off again and it clogs all the pores permanently!
use the proper Nikwax/Grangers fluid.

Goretex doesn't work well in a humid enviroment( like a jungle) as the outside needs to be cooler to draw water vapor through the fabric.

Goretex works better on windy days!

Always put something under a bivibag to protect the base from thorns/sharp stones etc.

If you do very hard physical work in Goretex the chances are you will produce more water vapor (warm sweaty air) than it can cope with.

I had to explain this to 2 -3 people every day at the camping shops!;)

but to answer the question is Goretex waterproof?
if brand new Most definitley yes, otherwise people wouldn't buy it.
second-hand......depend how careful the last owner was!;)

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
I have been told by several serving squaddies over the years that washing it improves the waterproof properties. I have done this to my goretex suit and it works,I think because it unblocks the pores that allows it to breathe.

Well thats my theory anyway.

GS

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
yep it should be waterproof, Ive must of done dozens of river crossings with one over the yeasr when i was in the mob. They are designed so that the bergan will fit inside and a floatation raft can be made fro crossing deep water. The end is sealed with aire in with a gooseneck. I never once had water get to my kit and leak into the bivy bag.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is not the Goretex that is "re-activated" by heat but the DWR (Durable Water Resistant) surface treatment that most (if not all) waterproof fabrics are given. This is generally a fleurocarbon (sp?) which will "reshape" with heat treatment.
This treatment stops the surface of the fabric "wetting out" ie getting totally covered in a film of water, which stops the "breathable waterproof membrane" from breathing - water vapour cannot pass through the physical barrier of water....
No breathability leads to condensation building up in the garment/bag and soaking you.
Hence a freshly ironed waterproof fabric working better than a beaten up one even if both are unpunctured and clean.

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
Firstly I would wash it with tech wash by hand, then turn it inside-out, and very closely inspect all seams, if any are lifting repair with seam seal. Then either use direct spray on nik wax on the outside or wash in nik wax.(I prefer spray on) let it dry. Now you can test it. Jokeing aside, why not sit in a bath of cold water- you will certainly feel it if it leaks and if it doesn't you havn't made it all dirty agian !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE