Goose Down

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Right, first off I could be opening a can of worms here but I'm trying to find some definitive answers on the ethics of goose down. There seems to be plenty of hear-say and hysteria on the subject but very little in the way of cold, hard facts.

As I understand it, most goose down is hand harvested from live animals. The geese can be plucked at roughly six week intervals, with most commercial birds being plucked 3-4 times. Now, my first reaction to this was abhorrence but in the interests of balance I'm trying to understand if this is as cruel as it first sounds.

From my own findings it is clear that the calamus [shaft] of the down feather is much finer that of the outer feathers and that the bond between feather and bird is quite weak. My uncle has a a few geese and we ambushed one to see how likely harvesting was to cause distress. There was the initial annoyance (the default state of a goose IMHO) at being caught but she remained quite calm as we located the down. We took great care with great attention to the state of the goose. From what I saw I would be happy to use goose down products if I could guarantee the down was collected with the same care.

Unfortunately, I suspect commercial harvesting will be less sympathetic so really I'm looking for opinions from anyone with experience in the industry. A long shot perhaps but worth a try.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I posted some stuff a while ago have a search.
I emaild Alpkit and now they put some info on there site.
They could not conclusively say that there down was cruelty free as they wern't allowed into the factory but were told that live pucking wasn't involved.#
Dave

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks for the response Dave. I've read the Alpkit material and while it's reassuring that manufacturers are taking note and making the effort to find out, I still got the impression there was no clear verdict.

On another note: In my opening post I stated that "most" down was live-harvested. Further reading suggests the figure could be anywhere between 50 and 90% Much seems to depend on which agenda the source is following. Alas, more vaguery.

Boreas

Jul 3, 2009
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I've done some reading up on goose down as well. I made the choice to stick with high quality synthetic fill for the reasons of ethics, cost and warmth when wet. The reading I've done is all only on the web and I only skimmed the surface of the information that's out there. What I read suggested that the birds are repeatedly plucked while live and that infections due to poor living conditions (as it is with the vast majority of any poultry or fowl operations) are common.

Your idea of trying to pluck a goose to see if it's actually as traumatic as it sounds is a great one. However, from what I've learned of the commercial meat industry in general I think that the comfort of the bird would be the last thing on a large scale producers mind (all heresay in this case as I don't know about down production.) So the kind of care you might have taken would probably not happen.

I personally don't use down, but I would welcome someone to tell me my assumptions and research are wrong if you know better than I do.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Dan yeah everyoone seems a bit vague on this one. I do own a north face down jacket but bought it before I realised the poss cruelty involved in harvesting.
It seems that alpkit would be the 'safest' non guaranteed manufacturer but personally I'm putting up with the bulk and weight of synthetic on my next sleeping bag.
Good on you for trying to find a veggii down though!
D

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Well, good news is it's for DIY project so that opens up my options. Timing couldn't be better, I've found a local free range supplier with a significant surplus - what with the festive season upon us. The only down side is I need to do some sorting and cleaning. Oh well, in for a penny...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE