Google's Middle Earth Interactive Map

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I liked the map, then I like cartography and am almost as happy reading a map for an evening as a good book. (And though I like the genre I'm not a Tolkien fan, have forced my way into them and they didn't float my boat. An unpopular view I've found but hey.) So ta for posting, imagined worlds can be fun and the skill of the mapmaker is pretty funky.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I liked the map, then I like cartography and am almost as happy reading a map for an evening as a good book. (And though I like the genre I'm not a Tolkien fan, have forced my way into them and they didn't float my boat. An unpopular view I've found but hey.) So ta for posting, imagined worlds can be fun and the skill of the mapmaker is pretty funky.
At the risk of turning this into a Tolkien love or hate thread, I just want to say your opinion is most valid. I actually find his writing in some places too slow. His stories are filled with deus ex machinas and often 1 dimensional characters. His true love is language and land, and that shows in his work, but his stories aren't the best. I respect him for his linguistic skills and for forging a massive fantasy world, but you're right, it's not for everyone. I wouldn't even say he's one of the greatest writers of all time, because he's not exactly Vladimir Nabokov, is he? Tolkien's prose isn't for everyone and I completely understand why.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
On a related note - are you a Pratchett fan and have you seen the various Discworld maps?

The map of the whole Discworld is great, as is the map of Ankh Morpork. The ones of Lancre and Death's Domain not so good. I'm considering ebaying all mine at the moment, along with various yearbooks and calenders.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE