Google Earth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Google Earth is an amazing free download from Google (well duh! :D )

"[size=-1]The idea is simple. It’s a globe that sits inside your PC. You point and zoom to anyplace on the planet that you want to explore. Satellite images and local facts zoom into view. Tap into Google search to show local points of interest and facts."

The US is really well covered with quite amazing resolution. UK and Europe is still great but good res areas are patchy.

I think they're getting a huge call for the downlodes right now and they're unavailable for a bit. "[/size][size=-1] We're making good progress, and expect to be able to accept new downloads shortly, so we recommend you check back daily"

I recommend you take a look. If you're planning on travelling anywhere in the world it has a lot to offer.
[/size]

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I got this t'other day. Nice stuff, but patchy coverage at the mo as Sheryl says. A bit dissappointed with the resolution available so I paid for the Plus version and now I'm even more dissappointed.
So my tip is don't bother with the Plus, it ain't worth it.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Unfortunately the [size=-1]Satellite[/size] folks are more interested in the Pentegon than Stonehenge at the moment ;)

The thing is it's free, has loads of potential and can only improve.
Thanks for the tip on the Plus version, Lurch. I shan't bother with that then.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I toyed with it yesterday and must say that I am very impressed. It does not contain nearly enough data, but I think that this is only something to be expected at the early stage. Thre resolution and cover will improve over time.

What would be nice is a community that will deliver all kinds of layers and data sets - like -for instance- good bushcraft areas :)

-Emile

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
eraaij said:
I toyed with it yesterday and must say that I am very impressed. It does not contain nearly enough data, but I think that this is only something to be expected at the early stage. Thre resolution and cover will improve over time.

What would be nice is a community that will deliver all kinds of layers and data sets - like -for instance- good bushcraft areas :)

-Emile
That's do-able, I think. Google also do something called gmaptrack. Using Google Maps you can add details to create your own content.
Maybe some of the more informed among us could get together and do just that? Again I believe it's free. How about one for all the BCUK Meets?

Here are a couple of examples of what other people have done (unfortunately no Bushcraft ones yet):

Oregon Hiking Club
London's National Trust Properties
(click the Orange Pins for details of each location).

more...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
the helipad at the hospital where i work...

helipad.jpg

Scarry stuff.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Stew said:
Can you cope with 10 megs through e-mail?

Pm me your e-mail address and I'll send it over (if my e-mail copes)
Actually I've using Bowdie's computer. He just sent me the exe file over our home network and although it sets up alright on mine there's an error message to say it can't connect to the Google Earth Servers.

It is still a Beta version, they're probably still restricting new users and just letting people in, in dribs and drabs so they can cope with the demand.

Worth trying sending it by email and see what happens though.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
FeralSheryl said:
Travel a bit. The Grand Canyon is looking good right now.

Nice.

GrandCanyon.jpg

Have you put in any place markers yet?
I've put in my house and the Grand Canyon then if you click between the too it's rather cool.

FeralSheryl said:
Worth trying sending it by email and see what happens though.

I've sent it to Andy - I'm sure he'll tell us if it works or not.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
If you enjoy that you might want to try this free open source app from NASA :D

World Wind

It is a big d/l of 180MB but a friend with decent broadband and knows about this stuff really raved to me about it.
World Wind lets you zoom from satellite altitude into any place on Earth. Leveraging Landsat satellite imagery and Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data, World Wind lets you experience Earth terrain in visually rich 3D, just as if you were really there. Virtually visit any place in the world. Look across the Andes, into the Grand Canyon, over the Alps, or along the African Sahara.

The 3D sat images I have seen are pretty amazing. Better read the requirements before d/l though.

ST_32_explore4_f.jpg

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Stew said:
Have you put in any place markers yet?
I'm waiting to get my own working. Didn't want to mess with Bowdie's settings.

Weird/cool sensation of flying between points though. Some of the Tilt and simulated 3D effects are good and the way you can get it to re-plot the shapes and sizes of buildings so you get a ground level effect if you want one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE