Tagging locations in the forest with Google maps on android

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Hi all, I've been doing this for a while now and it works well. I have a Sony Xperia z5, though my old z1 worked just as well. Checking my wife's iPhone. The positioning isn't as accurate on Google maps and the apple version of Google maps also has less functions, so I'd only recommend this on an android phone. I've been downloading offline map areas to the phone, then dropping the pin and labelling useful locations like funghi spots deep in the forests. Then I've tested then months later and the dropped pin is dead on location. If you're logged into your Gmail account, you can also see them on your main computer.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
The main problem with google maps is the offline areas are only normally for 30days, you need to resync them every so often

I would advise also looking at viewranger and locus

Locus has a very good POI system, you can attach photos and notes to POI, which would make it even better for logging finds.
complete offline maps from various sources including ordinance survey
doesnt sync online tho

the main advantage of google maps is online POI syncing and the satnav features
but google maps doenst really have track recording.

view ranger is good and has offline maps and can sync tracks and routes. good poi system but only basic POI features
the skyline is great in viewranger.
Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE