Goodbye....................... ........................

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
There'll be bikers the country over dreaming up uses for 3" stainless circles and little M2 allen bolts. :p
Shame to see some of them go. The Guzzi one's carbon fibre and anodised alloy - it's tricker than the bike is. :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I found a stash of the old ones in the file cabinet a while back. They were like old bank notes; interesting bits of ephemera :D

M

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
and to buying a car with tax on it already, apparently any new/2nd hand purchase, the buyer has to put tax on it, they can't use the tax paid for by the previous owner.
Basically the seller claims back for any whole months left after the end of the month they sold the car in. The buy then has to pay for the whole month that they bought the car in.

What this means is the seller has paid for the same month as the buyer, i.e. double purchase for the one car!! If you sell the car in July you only get August through to the end of the time on the VED bought returned to you. The buyer of the car then has to buy the VED running from the beginning of July not the date of purchase or from August. You would hope that they can sort it out to the day or at least allow the buyer to use the balance of the month already paid for by the Seller.

There are other issues. RAC claim that it will cost £167m a year in lost VED payment. AA and RAC claim that the current low rate of VED avoidance will jump up to the levels of car insurance avoidance which is high. I think that is where the above figure from RAC came from. It is the lost revenue due to the increase in VED avoidance due to the lack of a paper disc. The argument being that those discs were a visible check for authorities. Yes they have number plate recognition systems linked into insurance and VED databases in cars and at the end of police radios, but seriously do you expect a policeman to go around checking cars on the beat? Or that the probability you pass those cars with the number plate checking system to get caught. I am probably jumping on the AA/RAC bandwagon here but I just think there was something about being able to check the paper VED disc that made it feel harder to avoid paying for it.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
A couple of other thoughts

The refunds are only given to where the VED has it logged on their system. so you need to be quick with the claim otherwise the refund goes to the new owner! Or so they say...
Also on the lost revenue side. there will be a fair cost saving too not having to print and send in the post all those little round bits of paper

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
My understanding is that the enforcement isn't going to require any input from the police. If you haven't taxed, SORNed or declared your car scrapped and it isn't taxed, DVLA will automatically issue a fine. If you HAVE SORNed or declared your car scrapped and it's then picked up by a static or vehicle mounted camera, DVLA will issue a fine. Note that's it's not just the car-mounted cameras that will get you, but the ones on pretty much every motorway/a-road overhead gantry as well.

About the only way round it I can see would be to SORN a vehicle and then only drive it on minor roads, which might be of some use if you just need a runabout for country lanes that's never going to go near a town but I can't see there being enough people in that position to cause a large rise in avoidance. Given that I meet police cars on the rural lanes around here on a regular basis it would still be a pretty short-lived strategy I would think.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
What it also demonstrates is that the law enforcement people now reckon that they photograph your number plate often enough that they will catch most of the people who try to evade paying.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
There will always be dodgers, why we don't just put it on the fuel, so if you only do 5,000 miles you pay for that and if one does 50,000 miles you use the road more, it seems a fairer way and you have to put fuel in and as such you can no longer dodge paying, simples!

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Id dodge if i could , potholes ,roadworks speed traps ,no grit , cones everywhere, toll roads, parking fines in carparks fule tax thease government think tanks just dont stop will the savings on peoples jobs , printing and paper be passed on ? No and this mid month thing stinks , and the set up cost covered by us again .

Last edited:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The system is like the one used by bandit parking companies (parking eye etc), a computer just chucks out fines. The amount of time the dvla get people details wrong, and they are getting worse. There is going to be a lot of miscarriages of justice, it will either fill up lower courts with dvla stupidity or people that be bothered or afford to fight just pay up to wrong penalties. A fine is issued by a court and is backed up by thier bailiffs, a penalty is a request for money issued in other ways.

I like the Rebecca Rioters, it was a protest at extortionate road charges they burned out the toll booths. They blacked up and wore dresses as was the welsh custom of administering justice with face that couldnt be seen. I cant be the only person that can see a problem with a computerised system that cant wipe mud off a number plate or read an Albanian plate.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
What it also demonstrates is that the law enforcement people now reckon that they photograph your number plate often enough that they will catch most of the people who try to evade paying.

There you have it in a nutshell; whether or not it will work efficiently is another matter.

Repperz

Feb 3, 2014
Tonbridge area..
There will always be dodgers, why we don't just put it on the fuel, so if you only do 5,000 miles you pay for that and if one does 50,000 miles you use the road more, it seems a fairer way and you have to put fuel in and as such you can no longer dodge paying, simples!

Yeah but suddenly delivery by road become way more expensive ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE