good wood? for tent poles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi I'm planning on upping my Bushcraft display/demo stand this year.
I'm using larger 4m x 4m OG tarps and I'd like some natural wood poles, because they'll be stronger and easier to work with.

Which wood is best for the job?
obviously I'll have to paint or treat it so it doesn't rot and I'll have to add a join or two (metal sheath) so I can get them in/on my car.

probably looking at about 7-8ft long. (perhaps also a "goalpost" type cross beam)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I'd consider using coppiced ash or hazel poles with the bark left on. Or make poles from cleft ash sections, round them a bit with a draw knife, spokeshave etc and soak with linseed oil to preserve them a bit. I remember the tent pole sections on our scout tents were joined with strong metal tube ferrules. It wouldnt be too difficult to make one up from a piece of steel tubing, whittlle both poles down to the internal tube diameter, and fix on one side with a through rivet?

Commoner

Jan 29, 2010
Hampshire
if it only has to last a year then don't treat it and save energy/chemicals wasted processing oils/paint/whatever.

hazel/chestnut poles sound about right depends on weight to be held up... I would use thin complete poles to keep natural springyness and strength from all fibres and I would agree with mr dazzler, bark on. (woof)

hazel does look v nice thinly varnished though ;o)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cheers for the ideas, I'll see if i can get coppiced Ash or Hazel both are cut regularly in my area and I might be able to get them for free!

the metal tubing shouldn't be too hard to find, I'm going to need some monster tent pegs! i have some fence pins and angle Iron I can cut up!:D

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I'm going to need some monster tent pegs! i have some fence pins and angle Iron I can cut up!:D

Didnt Eric Methven post somewhere how to carve tent pegs from cleft ash? Theyd look rather nice and traditional. Ligther to carry than a heap of iron too.....:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Ok I agree they look nice!:D

But i have 2 problems:

if one snaps (which has happened to me) I'll have to dig it out (which i won't have time to do)

and I'm worried the people that pay me won't like the holes they make, most of the sites are football fields:(

shame because I'd like to use them:(. metal pegs make much less of a hole.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Rich, There is plenty of ash over at Hethel, have a word with John about cutting a few and some spares

D:D:D:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE