Good stuff of the day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Yes, we've arranged for a training day at the same time as the defib. is installed. We have the same problem as many other rural communities though, most of the residents hereabouts are too old to be trainable or mobile enough and are likely to be the recipients of treatment rather than the givers. There are just enough of us left to be effective and we have a very good comms. system in place so we should be ok.

Mrs Nomad and I both completed a 3 day HSE First Aid at Work course a couple of weeks ago and I feel a lot happier for getting our skills up to date.

Lots had changed and it included defibrillator training which was a first for both of us. Amazing bits of kit and a real bargain at not much more than a £1000 - every community should have one.

:)

Reactions: Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This was a few days ago but a great start to the day, I was in tesco in Chorley and Darth Vader and an imperial storm trooper come around the corner blasting and chopping with gun and light saber, it was carried out with all the zeal of 2 young boys amidst the somber adult faces, it was brilliant and set me up for the day. I asked dad if I could take a snap and as soon as he said yes they shifted into pose mode....

IMG_5815.jpg

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Was speaking with a local farmer earlier and the conversation drifted into old tools, said i had been looking for an old 3ft crosscut saw for ages, this evening he dropped this in on his way home

saw by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Got me a great project, lots of surface rust to get rid of, but its sound underneath, might have to make a new handle though as it has a few worm holes, not a problem, got stacks of Beech in the lock up

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It was definitely a good sound!

Thanks John.
Well done you for getting the guy back
Unfortunately he died for good in hospital a few days later ... too much damage....

Todays good stuff was spending the day with folk with learning disabilities up in the woods - teaching bushcraft skills.
They all achieved fire (spark stick and cotton wool/vasaline) made hot drinks over the fire (using a billycan one of them had made from a biscuit barrel) and all made a usable pot hook (using my razor sharp Mora companions) - the look on their faces at each achievement was brilliant!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Dam buckshot what a moment to step in on! last time I did anything aid wise, it was dealing with a lad vomiting whilst semi passed out on drink and smoke, it went well but dose leave you feeling wired! Thank you and to all others here for being one of those people that step forward to do the right thing.
Anyhow had a nice day down Exeter this past Wednesday.

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
A slightly traumatic day yesterday but one which will hopefully turn out OK.

Yesterday afternoon while the rest of Wales was glued to the rugby, Mrs N was doing her rounds and found a large collie cross hanging by a hind leg from a gate. The poor thing had tried jumping through the gate but caught it’s paw in the top wire of some stock netting covering the bottom 2/3rds of the gate - I’ll spare you the rather upsetting pictures.

It had spent a very cold and uncomfortable night and was very weak - I found out later that he was very much a “one man dog” and not keen on strangers but either he was too weak to object or just grateful to be rescued and he did not resist while Mrs N supported him and I cut him free and warmed him up with a blanket and some shared body heat and gave him a first drink in a while.

A quick phone call to the neighbour who shared that boundary established that the dog belonged to another farmer who had been beside himself and out searching since losing the dog yesterday afternoon when it headed off after a rabbit.

After an emotional reunion with his owner and rather undignified medevac involving a wheelbarrow and the back of a tractor, following a trip to the vets, the patient was back home warming in front of the fire after his first night away from home in nine years. Still too weak to stand (back to the vets on Monday to check on damage to the paw) and not out of the woods yet but in with a better chance than another night out in the open.

Fingers crossed for a full recovery. :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Lucky dog, sounds like you came to his aid just in time. I should think dehydration would be near the top of his priorities, very dry air when it gets this cold; fingers crossed for him :)

Reactions: Nomad64 and Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A slightly traumatic day yesterday but one which will hopefully turn out OK.

Yesterday afternoon while the rest of Wales was glued to the rugby, Mrs N was doing her rounds and found a large collie cross hanging by a hind leg from a gate. The poor thing had tried jumping through the gate but caught it’s paw in the top wire of some stock netting covering the bottom 2/3rds of the gate - I’ll spare you the rather upsetting pictures.

It had spent a very cold and uncomfortable night and was very weak - I found out later that he was very much a “one man dog” and not keen on strangers but either he was too weak to object or just grateful to be rescued and he did not resist while Mrs N supported him and I cut him free and warmed him up with a blanket and some shared body heat and gave him a first drink in a while.

A quick phone call to the neighbour who shared that boundary established that the dog belonged to another farmer who had been beside himself and out searching since losing the dog yesterday afternoon when it headed off after a rabbit.

After an emotional reunion with his owner and rather undignified medevac involving a wheelbarrow and the back of a tractor, following a trip to the vets, the patient was back home warming in front of the fire after his first night away from home in nine years. Still too weak to stand (back to the vets on Monday to check on damage to the paw) and not out of the woods yet but in with a better chance than another night out in the open.

Fingers crossed for a full recovery. :emoji_fingers_crossed:

That truly is a good thing, well done. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Nomad64

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
My Kids are still alive!!

Let them camp out last night in the cold and I have to say that I was a little concerned, low temperatures and all that, but all good!

I've dropped this in the EasyHammock thread in traders as well...

Had the Winter hammock out last night, it was a last minute thing so it ended up strung between the trailer and the climbing frame! My two youngest girls wanted to sleep in it and as they're off school for the rest of the week so that wasn't a problem. We piled them in at about 8pm and they got off to sleep fairly quickly and were still warm and toasty when I checked them at 2:30am (video'd it), went out again at 4:30am and they were gone, talking to them this morning they were just uncomfortable with the two of them in there so they came back in the house, but they thought it was nice and toasty the whole time.

Temp last night was a low of -7 (-17 with the wind)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
My Kids are still alive!!

Let them camp out last night in the cold and I have to say that I was a little concerned, low temperatures and all that, but all good!

I've dropped this in the EasyHammock thread in traders as well...

Had the Winter hammock out last night, it was a last minute thing so it ended up strung between the trailer and the climbing frame! My two youngest girls wanted to sleep in it and as they're off school for the rest of the week so that wasn't a problem. We piled them in at about 8pm and they got off to sleep fairly quickly and were still warm and toasty when I checked them at 2:30am (video'd it), went out again at 4:30am and they were gone, talking to them this morning they were just uncomfortable with the two of them in there so they came back in the house, but they thought it was nice and toasty the whole time.

Temp last night was a low of -7 (-17 with the wind)

I've no idea what happened here, I read Tony's post, tried to move the page up and suddenly discovered I'd made a post/reply.
Apologies.....I plead insanity or computer dunceability ( new Wicca word not in the dictionary...yet) :biggrin:

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
The baby is having trouble sleeping at the moment (that's not the good thing :shifty:) but at 4am this morning I was looking out into the snow in the garden and a tawny owl landed on one of the standing stones jutting out of the snow. I guess it was after the voles that gather under the bird feeders. It flew off, looped the garden and then landed on the satellite dish right outside the window only a couple of feet from where I was standing. With the brightness from the snow I could see it really clearly but it didn't clock me in the window right beside it. I think it must be a regular perching spot so I'll have to keep an eye out for pellets under there now. I've been trying to work out how to mount a trail camera up there all day :confused3:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Lucky dog, sounds like you came to his aid just in time. I should think dehydration would be near the top of his priorities, very dry air when it gets this cold; fingers crossed for him :)

Not quite so lucky it seems, Mrs N had a call from it’s owner this evening to say that the leg has become infected and he is taking the dog to the vets this morning to have it removed.

His days as a working dog may now be over (although three legged dogs do manage to do remarkable things), but his owner (who lives alone on a remote farm), is absolutely devoted to him and has been calling Mrs N every few days to discuss progress.

Fingers crossed that this is enough to save him and he adjusts well to life on three legs. :emoji_fingers_crossed:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Today is an open day. That is it's a day to open everything and let in the fresh air. All the windows are open, the cars are open, the greenhouses and cold frames are open. Basically if it was shut to keep winter out it's now open to let spring in. I've just looked around the garden and little buds are opening everywhere and shoots are shooting up all over the place. Just don't look at the patches of snow still hanging about reminding me that winter isn't quite over yet :meh:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
We live in an old beaters cottage, sounds romantic, but it's a brick bungalow with huge single glazed windows and we live in a valley. Thus we suffer mould and high condensation.

After finding a slight leak in a pipe in what was once an airing/drying cupboard for coats and boots with a boiler in it (previous tenants moved the boiler to the loft for some bizarre reason), I got a plumber in to fix it and set about seeing the extent of the damage. the cupboard is stuffed with all our camping equipment, spare bedding, winter clothes, boots etc. Although much of the kit smelled a musty, there wasn't too much damage so I set the dehumidier running in there on low for 3 days. It pulled 12ltrs of water before the automatic moisture setting switched it off. Left it another day and it pulled about a litre, then not much.

So glad I did that.

Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not quite so lucky it seems, Mrs N had a call from it’s owner this evening to say that the leg has become infected and he is taking the dog to the vets this morning to have it removed.

His days as a working dog may now be over (although three legged dogs do manage to do remarkable things), but his owner (who lives alone on a remote farm), is absolutely devoted to him and has been calling Mrs N every few days to discuss progress.

Fingers crossed that this is enough to save him and he adjusts well to life on three legs. :emoji_fingers_crossed:

I do hope so. Generally dogs adjust well, and if he's had an infection on top of the injury he'll already be adjusting to a life on three legs as he'll have been in pain throughout. He'll need short walks for quite a while, no jumping, strict diet for weight control, but he should be ok. Maybe he can be a pet dog from now on? :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just had a nice lunch with my wife, nice and relaxed, fried egg sarnies, very enjoyable all round. Also having some local kids over later to play D&D, looking forward to that, we always have a laugh and it gets them away from all the electronic devices that rule lives these days... Get them using pen, paper, dice and their imaginations...

Reactions: Toddy and Macaroon

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Out around the fields near the village to see the extent of the flooding. No real threat to us humans yet, but the moles in the water meadow next to our cottage are moving uphill and deer and fox tracks suggest they are also looking for higher ground.

Wild violets out in abundance and trees are budding. Despite the weather forecast and TV newscasts, reasons to feel optimistic.*

*My mother used to say she could always tell an optimist because the started doing their crossword puzzle in ink.

Reactions: Toddy and Macaroon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE