Good pair of boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
My old army boots have given up the ghost and i need a decent pair of boots for hiking and day trips. Down at the local sports direct they have a million different types of Karrimor, but my recent experience with their walking shoes is that they're terrible quality. So any suggestions of a good pair that can put up with some decent outdoors/hiking conditions and preferably won't break the bank?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have recently bought a pair of surplus Altberg Defenders posted for £35 of ebay, new on there they can be had for around £100, quite easily the best boot I have had

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
I have recently bought a pair of surplus Altberg Defenders posted for £35 of ebay, new on there they can be had for around £100, quite easily the best boot I have had

I really need to steer clear of used boots to be honest. Have a history of knee pain stemming from an old knee injury i got while training for Royal Marines years back. I did have a quick look and defenders were going for £160 unused on ebay, which is pretty steep.

Jun 3, 2014
uk
I got some lowa ones though currently been thinking I need to add something to them to improve comfort. (maybe mine just old and need new ones)

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
As a follow up, i went with a pair of Meindl desert foxes from ebay. Brand new, and feel pretty good so far. Even work with jeans as a casual boot. So far i'm cautiously impressed.

subzeer0

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2014
East of Durham
i have had and got major problems with my feet and walking is a problem,,,,i a had all sorts of boots...my latest ones were a pair of meindl brown desert boot...very nice...but my best pair for me are a pair of Altberg Sneekers....fanatstic comfort

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
I also bought a pair of surplus Altberg boots for £30 from ebay recently. Comfy boots but leak at the toe area after about 10 mins in wet grass. Have given them a few good goes with Leder Gris but to no avail. Not too bothered as I was intending to use them in winter with sealskin socks but thought I'd mention it. Guess it's a case of buyer beware.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE