Good kit suggestions from Blacks please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I recently received some gift vouchers for Blacks for my birthday but I'm unsure what to spend them on as I hardly ever go in there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for items of kit they've picked up from there? (I was thinking of putting it together with some more money and getting new boots but I'm not too keen on their range.)
Perhaps you've bought something from Blacks that you're quite impressed with and couldn't get anywhere else?

I've got £30 to spend so do let me know of any suggestions as it would be a shame to let them go to waste.

Many thanks :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You can't go wrong buying a Lowa Mountain Cap (Gore-tex) there about £30.00. Thats if you haven't already got one. Say your ex forces like I did and they might give you a 10% discount!
They sell Gore-tex XCR Gaiters as well which are the dog's dangly bits!

Sep 19, 2006
Gloucester
I'm in the same camp having received 2 blacks gift cards from different people

Has anyone tried their own brand 1watt white and red LED head torch at £25?
http://www.blacks.co.uk/Camping/Cam.../1-Watt-Luxeon-Head-Torch/product/110911.aspx

I have a couple of the dirt cheap lidl ones which still work perfectly but I fancy the idea of the red LED for night use, and since it's not really costing me anything I feel a bit braver about spending so much even if I don't really _need_ it.

I also noticed on the website that they are selling the MSR miniworks ceramic water filter for only £50!! I paid double that a few years ago but I've had plenty of use out of it - if only blacks sold the spare filters! At the time I was after that filter, I received completely blank looks from the staff in blacks and millets in cheltenham when asking about ceramic water filters so I wonder if the website has quite different products from the shops...

And I don't see any way to use the gift cards via the website, unless someone else has spotted something I have not?

Blacks seem to do quite nice Animal wallets - my 15 year old animal wallet is looking a bit grubby and the plastic photo cover has torn quite badly, and the velcro has all come unstuck so maybe it's time I replaced it.

Other than those, I need new boot proofer, and some more candles for my lantern :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Craghoppers kiwi trousers lined are now available with the side pocket,the old ones didn't have said pocket.
Price £39.99 i think.
Or get a pair of the unlined,great trousers.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
i work at millets and basically exactly the same as blacks minus North face kit, The best buy would be on the 3 for 2 crimbo offers on atm, the wind up selection, also have some nice thermatech fleeces for £7.45 atm. other than that only thing i would reccomend is the sigg oval crusader/bottle 14.99 atm great bit of kit

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Sigg Retro, nice bit of kit and only £14.99 atm it seems.

Actually seems they have a 3 for 2 deal on them.. though not sure if/why would need 3 :D

More usefully it's by any 3 from the 3 for 2 range and get the cheapest of them free.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I picked up an original Sigg oval flask from an American site a couple of years ago, these have a cork stopper. Its nice, but a bit too big to use as a hip flask, and a bit too small to use as a water bottle. They were advertised as swiss army canteens, bit small for a soldier I would have thought?

Never used it yet, but I might fill it with port for the February camp

SIGG1.jpg

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
I know there more than your vouchers but i got a really good pair of hitec hiking boots (£55) from there that lasted me ages and also a huge sleeping bag(£45) (own make) that I love, I specifically bought it there as it was the only one big enough for a 6ft 5" fat guy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE