Good King Henry posionous look alikes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
I'm learning about a load of different wild edibles atm, and whenever I research a new one I do a google search of... **plant name** poisonous look alikes.

It normally comes up with "this plant has no poisonous look alikes" or "this plant has a number of poisonous look alikes, do not confuse with..." etc.

With Good King Henry though, I cant find any good information on it. Can anyone help me please?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good King Henry is a chenopodium....a goosefoot. It's like Fat Hen, and can be eaten the same way.
Both are often considered weeds.....and there in lies the problem. Goosefoots are all edible, but their common names are often used for other plants. It's a muddle. We know what you mean by good king Henry, or fat hen, but when even the latin names are used it muddles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitum_bonus-henricus
also known as Chenopodium bonus-henricus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenopodium_album

Thing is though, that there's a book in America (where the plants are considered non native weeds) that claims that the plants are poisonous to, "cattle, horses, humans, sheep, swine", so folks believe what's written and just keep posting the information, even when it's wrong :sigh:

Read the rest of the discussion here,
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51560/#b

To be honest, I have eaten both of those goosefoots all my life. I like them :) if they grow in the garden I think, "Oh good, dinner :)", and I'll forage a bit when out too.

Would I eat platefuls of it day in day out ? well, no, but then it's a seasonal veg to me. I suspect that like feeding rats nothing but McDonalds and when they die reporting that it killed them, a tonne of the stuff a year might rather be a surfeit, but otherwise, it's good food :D

Bon appetit :)

M

p.s. While I mind. The leaves are just coming up in from over wintering roots, and those leaves are sort of arrow shaped. The Lords and Ladies leaves are also just coming up, and those too are arrow shaped. They're actually very differently shaped, once you have seen both, just make sure it's GKH you're putting into dinner and not L&L, since the latter is an arum and most definitely not good for eating.
M

Last edited:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Fat hen and good king henry dont look like anything hidously poisonous. The leaf shape could if you were really unobservatant [nearly blind] be confused with some nightshades, but the common nightshades are bushy and smell like tomato leaves. The leaves of nightshades taste totally rank.

Some goosefoots dont taste too good, red goosefoot tastes slightly metallic to me. Some people with already dicky kidneys can have problems eating them. Eating nothing but good king henry for two weeks has made people ill. The seeds on quinoa [should be spelt cwaenwha ;)] need the natural soap washing off them, some native goosefoots could need the same treatment.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a very good point about the seed coating :)

I did wonder what they were on about in that thread that I linked to, when I knew that they had been used for flour in the past.

Mostly I eat the stuff before it gets old enough to seed anyway, but not always. So far I've never been up nor down doing so.

atb,
Mary

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have eaten the seed on fat hen but not in any quantity. Nice lightly fried. KweeeenWhaa (quinoa) is of course the superfood of the moment one cupfull is enough to feed gweneth pultrow for week. There is no reason not to presume that fat hen seeds wouldn't be high in protein as well

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like quinoa :) and I grew it and amaranth one year. Very pretty flower spikes, but a real footer to get the seeds out of the dried heads. They must pile them up and thresh them by the thousand where they're native.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very pretty, but oh a misery to try to break out the seeds with your hands :sigh: all wee spiny bits. Not a lot of seed from a couple of dozen flower spikes. Maybe they get more where there's loads of sunshine :dunno:
I think we do better with dockens tbh.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE