Golok+Parang=Golang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Ive just been looking on an Australian knife makers site and found what they
call a Golang its the new british army parang which they say is a cros between
a golok and a parang aparantly its a prototype.
Has anyone ever used one or seen one.?

Swagman.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Not seen used one but did find this

GJK: British Jungle Blade
British military prototype. Similar in essence to the Parang that appears in the British SAS handbook, which is actually a hybrid of a South East Asian Golok (primarily a chopper) and a Parang (primarily a slasher) - so we call it a Golang. It utilises the best of both worlds being able to chop as well as slash with equal efficiency. This is a serious wilderness big-blade!

Specifications:
* Length: 28-cms
* Weight: 570-gms plus scabbard
* Scabbard: Aus-cam canvas
* Handle and Guard : Rubber
* Manufactured: Sheffield

adams-machete.jpg

I think there was something on BB??

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I have one of these and in all honesty the Rubber Handle is shocking,I've cut it off and Fitted a Wooden one instead,Now it's a very good knife.And for the price your getting a great blade.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Thats the one shambling shaman . I think there made in shefield i can get one from
western oz $110 dollers might order one if its just a case of changing the handle.

Forest fella did you have to drill holes in the handle or are they allready there?
and if you did was it easey?.

Swagman

pwb

Hi swagman,was just looking at the Aussie site you mentioned and noticed they also stock the Martindale No.4-01, bottom one of the three:
http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/knives.html#martindale
I Think this is more likely to be an actual issue knife, not only because of Martindale's proven past history of supplying issue knives, but because surplus P. L. C .E webbing sheaths are on the market:
http://ukkitmonster.com/images/Jungle Knife Sheath.jpg

I personally think it looks a far more usable blade and the handle wont need altering.
Just my opinion though :) .

Pete.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Hi swagman,was just looking at the Aussie site you mentioned and noticed they also stock the Martindale No.4-01, bottom one of the three:
http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/knives.html#martindale
I Think this is more likely to be an actual issue knife, not only because of Martindale's proven past history of supplying issue knives, but because surplus P. L. C .E webbing sheaths are on the market:
http://ukkitmonster.com/images/Jungle Knife Sheath.jpg

I personally think it looks a far more usable blade and the handle wont need altering.
Just my opinion though :) .

Pete.

Some good links there, thanks

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, I should have wrote I had one,As I sold it on ebay sometime ago,And yeah it's a very easy job to change the Handle,And yes there are two holes in the Tang already under the Rubber grip,plus the Landyard hole.The Blade is well made and very sturdy,and has a wide Scandi Grind.that comes pretty sharp,The Handle is very similar to the UK MOD Divers knife,but alot smaller in length and thickness,it also splits easily.
Also the sheath is a standard SA80 Bayonet Frog/Compact Golok sheath,I made a wooden scabbard for the one I had,looked better and was alot safer.
The person who brought it from me,made a better looking Handle and a leather sheath for it and listed it as ''Parang Like Ray Mears uses'',and made a stupid amount of cash,I sold it for £10 more than what it cost me New.still if people want to pay for the name,what can you do.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
ok, daft question time

I want to sharpen the curve so it can be used for skinning, now the really daft part, i want to put a serrated / saw edge on the back, is this daft, what is best and how do i do it.

educate me please :)

thanks

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi,These are the Parangs I have.The top one is a typical Parang used and made in Borneo.
And the bottom one is One I had made and is the Closest I have seen to the one in Lofty's book,it's made to the same spec's as his.and I have used a MOD GOLOK sheath that I've put a Small first Aid Pouch on,just to be safe.Also it has a BILLHOOK Handle on it,so it can easly be re-placed.
l002.jpg

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Cheers for that,I can't take the credit though,I sent a picture of the design and a cardboard template of the finished shape along the specs to a Blacksmith who makes alot of knives for me and he did the rest.On that old Lofty Video I think the Parang he uses is a old Forged version of his Survival Tool if my memory serves me correctly.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
On that old Lofty Video I think the Parang he uses is a old Forged version of his Survival Tool if my memory serves me correctly.

maby he is useing the parang he got given back in the SAS? i think they all get one when they go to borneo and work alongside the locals? in chris ryans survival guide he has a hand forged parang that looks similar to the one loftys survival guide.

pete

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
troops buy their own when on training from the locals or often the local cq has a stock under his desk which he makes a few quid on in the same way you used to able to buy issue kukris from the civvy stores staff who ran their own trading networks. a bit like radar and klinger on mash.

otherwise you get a golock and hope the guy who had it before you knew how to adapt it to work better.

if you watch rm from the start he took his golock everywhere as his primary chopping blade then progressed to native made blades when he found a source and had learnt to use them better. its what you are used to moduser dave was telling me he took a reprofiled golock with him but was useless with it till the iban showed him what you could do with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE