Golite Shangri-La 5 or similar??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I have been toying with getting myself a new tent with mosquito/ midge net for family camping outings, canoeing trips and a good general all rounder. I currently have a Vango Tempest 300 which is a good size for me on my own but get cramped when my daughter comes along for the trip. Its almost impossible to move when we are all inside it!

Currently for family getaways we have a 4 man, 2 bedroom Gelert which is about 10 years old. Before Heather came along we only hung one bedroom up and used the rest as a lounge/dining area when it was raining. The big issue with this tent is that, when packed away, it takes up the size of a suitcase! Its only ever used if we can camp near the car and has never been taken into the woods as you need a lot of space to put it up. Also its a struggle for one person to erect when there is very little more than a 2 on the beaufort scale!

We have been toying with the idea of getting a Lavvu style tent and are currently looking at the Shangri-La 5 as that seems to offer a very versatile and adaptable package. You can have it as a conventional flysheet over a one piece ground sheet and bug net combined inner. You can also erect it without the inner and have it as a stand alone flysheet or visa versa.

Does anyone have any experience with the Shangri-La range of tents? what's the build quality like?

I would love to get a Tentipi as all the reports I have read say they are the best and you cannot beat them for versatility and durability. However, the price of a Tentipi puts me off as its a massive outlay and quite frankly, well out of my budget! By the time I have bought a 5 man outer and then the inner tent I will be looking at the guts of £1500!!!!

Does anybody else have any recommendations for a lightweight, durable and compact style tent that has enough room for 3 people and still have room to swing a cat?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I love mine and am considering selling but mine doesn't have a nest.
Great tent and so easy to put up and takes up no room at all.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I can't see you getting three in one plus gear... the 5 in the name relates to sardines.

Forget not that much of the outside of any tipi design is useless due to the lack of wall height... I have had a tentipi vagge 7, a safir 9, a bisontelt 16, a helsport and a few others... I love the design but you give a lot away in terms of room for the angle of the wall.

Other considerations are that in poor weather, there is no vestibule and opening the door will give a direct route into the inner tent for rain.

That said, if you're set on the design, GoLite make a decent tent for the money.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Thanks Squidders,

To be honest, most tents are the same as far as wall height/angle/ useable space at the sides. Just look at the old ridge tents. Yes they were a wee bit longer but the concept was the same as far as kit storage. I know what you mean about raining in through an open door, I got rid of a Vango that did just that. When it was raining and you had to go outside, as soon as you opened the zip, you were treated to a free shower, not nice when its just a small 2 man done tent and everything gets soaked.

I have also been looking at the Helsport Kongsvold 4/6 and 8/10 as they have a porch/upright door.I haven't seen one in the flesh but was interested in them a few months ago when I saw one on this forum. Although, these tents do start to fall outside the small and compact range (still smaller than my current family tent).

Its not going to be easy finding a tent that will tick all the boxes.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Kongsvolds and varangers (ive had both) are truely a winter palace and laugh at bad weather. Pack size and weight are clearly the issue so it depends what you want to do with it. If its car camping in the uk then id say they are perfect. The 8-10 is great for 3 and 4 people. Seekoutside may be worth looking at too. Id say they are between the golite and helsport range for weight and pack size.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Can I point out, that the Helsport lavvu that have the porch are the 'camp' models after the product name.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

True if buying a newer one but they only started that naming convention pretty recently. Before last year the varanger was the one without porch and the kongsvold with. I think the varanger camp is the better tent in the lineup.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
True if buying a newer one but they only started that naming convention pretty recently. Before last year the varanger was the one without porch and the kongsvold with. I think the varanger camp is the better tent in the lineup.

You never stop learning something new. :)

I got the Kongsvold cheap 2nd hand, as its all I could afford, but I agree about the Varanger.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've used a Vango Juno 800 for a few years now. Some here called it a joke tent/garden tent etc but its stood up to some very nasty weather and kept me safe and dry. If I were to buy another tipi type tent for mainly woodland camping I'd give serious thought to this

[video=youtube;t86S4LwpHGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t86S4LwpHGE[/video]

5000mm so it should keep the rain out, the 'sail' is a handy feature and its about £150. Sown in ground sheet and it would be easy enough to rig up a mozzie net for the door

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10T-personT... 8&colid=2OSN4J1ZKBO21&coliid=I23BZ5LCGNRNBA

I've still got my Hex 3 which my lad 'nicked' but he's not used it in a year so that may be up for trade, comes with the bug nest.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I've used a Vango Juno 800 for a few years now. Some here called it a joke tent/garden tent etc but its stood up to some very nasty weather and kept me safe and dry. If I were to buy another tipi type tent for mainly woodland camping I'd give serious thought to this

[video=youtube;t86S4LwpHGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t86S4LwpHGE[/video]

5000mm so it should keep the rain out, the 'sail' is a handy feature and its about £150. Sown in ground sheet and it would be easy enough to rig up a mozzie net for the door

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10T-personT...TF8&colid=2OSN4J1ZKBO21&coliid=I23BZ5LCGNRNBA

I've still got my Hex 3 which my lad 'nicked' but he's not used it in a year so that may be up for trade, comes with the bug nest.

Didnt they also do a canvas one, got the name Peace in my head.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Didnt they also do a canvas one, got the name Peace in my head.

No - the Vango Peace tipi is made in a polycotton material which is a bit nicer than the Juno, but otherwise identical in features. A belting tent for the money, and incredibly easy to put up, although a bit more tricky fitting back into the bag afterwards:)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
No - the Vango Peace tipi is made in a polycotton material which is a bit nicer than the Juno, but otherwise identical in features. A belting tent for the money, and incredibly easy to put up, although a bit more tricky fitting back into the bag afterwards:)

Cheers Andy, I knew they did one but wasn't sure if it was polycotton or canvas. Was it a fully sewn In groundsheet too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE