GoLite gear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jas

Nov 3, 2004
flintshire, north wales
Is this stuff any good? I've seen a GoLite Wisp Wind Shirt which look pretty nifty. Has anyone out there had any experience with this gear.

Also are the sizes generous (as I'm a bit of a porker!)?

Cheers

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I havent used any of there clothing but i have slepted in theirHex tent which is superb and used there backpacks which when loaded properly and to the weight for which they were designed are also good.

it is worth remembering that gear that is designed for light weight camping usually sacrifices durability for light weight and will require more care and thought in its use.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I have quite a bit of GoLite gear, partly because I was lucky enough to win a gift certificate from them, and generally I can recommend it. Features are minimal, but almost always well considered. The Coal parka, for instance, has only two handwarmer pockets and a very thin front zip, but it does the job splendidly (wore it to work this morning, in fact, and it was with me in Lapland last winter) due to quality materials, good design and top-notch production.

Some of their gear doesn't work quite as well as you might hope (the Dome umbrella leaks unless you seam-seal it, for instance... bit of a failing in a brolly) and it's all horribly expensive, but if you shop around you can often find excellent clearance prices on older designs. Try searching for "killer deals" and "Golite" and you'll find their official clearance outlet in the USA; with the exchange rate so good it might be worth considering.

The key with GoLite is, I think, to be very certain how you will be using the clothes and equipment. Durability is good, but you do have to take care with any ultralight gear because it most certainly is not "bomb-proof." Oh yes, and sizes are not generous, but are realistic. For instance, with a manly 45" chest and 38" waist I wear a size large Coal parka.

Incidentally, anyone looking for a bargain ultralight camping stove at the moment might want to look at www.brasslite.com where the Turbo I stove is going for $18, since it's being replaced by a different model. Postage to the UK will add roughly $25 to that, which still comes to less than a titanium mug.

jas

Nov 3, 2004
flintshire, north wales
Thanks guys. It looks like a toss up now between this shirt (at 25 quid doen from 55) or the Montane Featherlite Windshirt (at around 35 quid). The Montane hasn't got a dwr coating but some people have told me that because of that it "breathes" better. Is that right?

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Can't comment on relative breathability, but the Montane is certainly very breathable. No features to speak of and a slightly fragile neck zip, but it's a superb windshirt. One word of warning: Montane sizes are most definitely NOT generous, so choose at least one size larger than you expect to need.

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
i'd endorse everything said about the Golite stuff here. designed to be ultralight which doesn't always mean particularly durable. But with a little care all the gear is more than adequate for anything but rough use such as bushwacking or climbing.

it is well worth taking some steps towards the ultralight approach - getting your pack weight down will makes a HUGE difference to your outdoor experience!

one very useful ultralight UK site which often has offers is:

http://www.hike-lite.co.uk/index.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE