Going to scottland in september

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I'm looking for cheap camping places. The girlfriend isn't much of a bushcrafter, but likes walking, so I'm looking for places where I can rent a camper at an affordable price.

Do you guys know any places? All help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Michiel

Glenmore camp site outside of Aveimore is great, brilliant shower blocks and a small shop/cafe for breakfast and newspapers but also in a truly spectacular location next to loch morlich where you can rent kayaks and canoes and several great forests. You're also only a short drive / bus journey away from Aveimore which has several outdoors shops and a small super market as well as a seriously good italian restaurant with a 7 pound all you can eat pizza / pasta / salad buffet. If you end up there be sure to visit the green lochan.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Glen Nevis camp site near Fort William.

http://www.glen-nevis.co.uk/

Not exactly Bushcrafty and I don't know if it's cheap compared to other sites, but the facilities are good and the location is absolutely superb with some excellent walking avaliable.

As Toddy say's September does of course mean midges (not restricted to this location of course ), but as long as you take precautions they shouldn't spoil things.

No connections to the site, just spent some nice times there...

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Quite a big fan of wester ross and the northwest in general. Loch maree is cool, quite a few things to do around about the area and loads of nice walks etc. Big Sand in Gairloch is a cool campsite, allow fires on the beach but again the midgies can be horrendous though.

Cheers,

Alan

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
YOu may want to consider Islay
http://www.islayinfo.com/

Other than the whisky, there are some great walks and the campsite near the airport at Kintra Farm is beautiful... Once again, there are midges, marmite and whisky should work though.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Glen Nevis camp site near Fort William.

http://www.glen-nevis.co.uk/

Not exactly Bushcrafty and I don't know if it's cheap compared to other sites, but the facilities are good and the location is absolutely superb with some excellent walking avaliable.

As Toddy say's September does of course mean midges (not restricted to this location of course ), but as long as you take precautions they shouldn't spoil things.

No connections to the site, just spent some nice times there...

One thing its not is cheap

Hobbit on a String

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2009
Aberdeenshire (Turriff)
Dont know if this is any help or not mate,
But in scotland you dont need to go onto a campsite, as long as you stay away from the main roads, you can use the land to your hearts content,

Glen Nevis is alright, but they will rip the **** out of you money wise,
There is a not bad site in Inverness, called the Bught Park, but from there if you wish you have the heart of the Hills around you.

Or if you prefer, more basic is over on the east coast by aberdeen, there is some local council camp sites, but if you are going in Sep. Like others have said Take midge nets, and get some good spray.

Braemar,Ballatar, Aboyne, Aviemore, Turriff, Bannff, Inverness, etc etc, the list is endless,

Best advice, go out explore, and find what you want, and stick to it, you never know you may even get the other half interested.

The Hobbit

Mooseman1

Forager
Dec 22, 2008
London UK
Aviemore in the Caingorms is great and cheap. A little cabin in the YHA at the south end of town runs at 11 pounds a day or you can pitch a tent for a fiver and use the showers/internet and BBQ for free.

hope this helps.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hobbit, I agree the 100% stuff does everything, but for midges in Scotland you only need to use the 'greener' myrtle extract version - still Life Systems though.

I've only needed the 100% stuff in the tropics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE