Going to Finland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I am going to Finland in a few weeks time to spend a few days in the country canoeing etc and also (re)visit Helsinki. Does anyone know of any good Finnish gear I should pick up while in Helsinki ? I guess it's probably more expensive there than here but you never know.

Thanks in advance
NS

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hi Richard. Good plan!

I did see branches of Clas olsen (the Swedish hardware company) in several Finnish towns - thy had some camping and fishing gear, but nothing that I really wanted. Prices were ok-ish.

I also trawled a secondhand shop looking for a vintage puukko without success.

Iisaaki and Marttinni puukkot were widely available but not really cheaper than here. I suspect fishing/shooting shops might have a better range but I didn't come across any in the time I had available.

S

SDJC

Hi Nonsuch

I used to live in Helsinki - theres some good walking there. If you're into your really rural stuff then I'd recommend a trip to Vaasa (a city on the West coast - maybe 1-2 hour internal flight). That's where the archapelago is, and where a lot of Finns have their second homes (chalets etc).

When I was there my friends just had all of the usual European brands (Marmot, Jack Wolfskin etc) but I don't think they were necesarily all that cheap!!

Hope that helps

Stuart

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Well, I'm here now and I can tell you that beautiful wooden kuksas are about £4 and carbon steel basic puukko knives (very similar to a Mora) are 80p.....if you shop around. Had a great few days on the water and in the forest - more later

I also just met the Finnish Finance Minister !

NS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE