Going natural/traditional

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi guys,
I have a request; recently I have noticed that I have a growing tendency to look at natural materials/alternatives for my gear.
I want to move from plastics and artifical materials to wool, canvas, leather etc.

A large canvas and leather rucksack instead of my Vulcan II, wool sweaters instead of fleece, wood and metal tools with leather sheaths instead of plastic.

Are there any others concidering this and are there people who have good/bad experiences with the natural stuff?

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I'm in the same phase. I'm making my canvas & leather packs, canvas bedroll and switched completely towards wool, cotton and leather clothing. It's heavy and not always as waterproof as the natural materials but if I look at the rate of 'consumption' this stuff will last a lifetime. The only 'modern' stuff I use are sleeping bags & mats. Try the book 'Camping the old style' lots of inspiration there. http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Old-Style-David-Wescott/dp/0879059567

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am slowly moving this way myself... one project to come is a good tarp and hammock set up... it could be a while though as my current kit has lots of life in it yet and my walet is kinda thin.....

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I do really like the look of the canvas rucksacks and would like a kit simular to that of an 19th century woods man, feel like a real hobo camper then! just how it's meant to be.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've got an aim - to go out into the woods having made at least 50% of my kit and clothing. This would be made from traditional materials. Not there yet, though I have a homemade canvas and leather rucksack (several, actually) like this.
which gave me a big head start in this area. I've made my knife, a bodywarmer, a tarp and a few other things. Long way to go yet...

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I use to joke that my gear is approaching 1900 more and more with every year. With a longing glance at the stone age.

One day I'll get my thumb out and braintan a few more hides, and do a "100% stone age trek" (ok, contact lenses stay). A group of people in the USA have done it, and some people in Holland have done a stone age camp for a few weeks.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I use nessmuk and kephart as insperation - you can down load their boks on he BCUSA forum - no quitee mountainman era but the next best thing - vintage lightweigh - means you dont need a pack horse :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE