Going Lighter....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
One of the members here messaged me and reminded me I hadn't put it up here.
Perhaps its because I'm getting older, but I seem to want to carry a lot less nowadays. I'm no Thru-hiker, nor can I afford to replace everything with Titanium & sil-nylon, but I did find a few simple ways to shed a few pounds from my pack.
Let me know your "top-tips" for the weight conscious bushcrafter.
I hope you enjoy.
Atb
Neil

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
One of the members here messaged me and reminded me I hadn't put it up here.
Perhaps its because I'm getting older, but I seem to want to carry a lot less nowadays. I'm no Thru-hiker, nor can I afford to replace everything with Titanium & sil-nylon, but I did find a few simple ways to shed a few pounds from my pack.
Let me know your "top-tips" for the weight conscious bushcrafter.
I hope you enjoy.
Atb
Neil

Took your time ...

...And thank you for the name of the lighter axe Neil.

Norlund axe is now on the seek list
Cheers

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
String rather than paracord definitely. Not just for compact/lightness sake but rather because its physical properties are closer to that of natural cordage. Being able to work effectively with this kind of material is one of the skills that defines bushcrafters from other outdoor enthusiasts.

Drop one meal or snacks and replace with a protein shake, it helps burn off the belly fat :happy:

This next one is going to be controversial, people are very attached to their rucksacks.

Vintage frame packs circa (1970-1980) Campari, Karrimor, Cobmaster, Norrona, Jaspar

Very similar style to the LK35 but using aluminium and ripstop nylon, my 50L Campari weighs in at 915 grams. In contrast a mint unmodified LK35 tips the scales at 2150g. That's slightly heavier than the larger capacity British Army Bergen without the side pods and internal back support.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats interesting; I just picked up a Campari...canvas on ali frame.

But the straps are rather skimpy. If I was going to use it I would replace with padded

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one Neil :D

Tengu, I agree. I had one of those rucksacks a very long time ago. The straps are a misery, especially ontop of bra ones.

Bishop, if the nylon could be make really sound, the old stuff frayed at the seams, and properly waterproofed, then I think that would be excellent. Again I used those old packs all those years ago. Bright vivid orange. One had a seat built into the frame. I think that frame might still be up the loft, I know the fabric faded, frayed and mildewed before a year was out.

M

Reactions: CLEM

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
One had a seat built into the frame
Luxury! and probably still lighter than a modern backpack lol

rummages through ideas archive folder...
something like this one?
campari-seat-pack-s.jpg

This also came up. It's a DIY build that uses the owners Thermarest sleeping pad as the back padding for the rucksack.
mat-back.jpg

Reactions: boubindica

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was indeed like your dark blue one :) It was actually not bad, in good weather. It was a pest in the rain though because it leaked, and back then bin bags were big brown paper things, not rolls of plastic like now. Mine was really too tall for me, but then, nobody knew about fitting a rucksack to a teenager then. We just bought what we could afford.

M

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
This is something I've been pondering myself of late, how to get by with less, and this is what I have come up with, I don't use an axe I'm more into say a billy, cleaver or perang on average there lighter. I carry a basha and poncho the poncho can be a shelter the basha a hammock, go a bit lighter on the sleeping bag and use your main coat on top and feet in yer backpack if more warmth is need when sleeping, and don't carry pegs make them etc I guess the main thing is try and carry things that do more than one job.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Some excellent suggestions. I like the rediscovering vintage brands/gear idea. The old frame packs , if adjusted correctly, were really good kit and very lightweight in many ways.

Reactions: CLEM

Yeoman13

Nov 29, 2017
Canada
I've done all kinds of things to cut weight but ultimately have found that comfort on the trail is discomfort in camp.
(Or conversely, discomfort on the trail is comfort in the camp.)
I reduce weight by eliminating duplication/variety/comfort items.
Water bottle, pot and spoon instead of water bottle, bladder, pot, frying pan, bowl, cup, knife, fork, spoon.
Meth stove or no stove instead of MRS or isopro canister stove.
Tarp and hammock and sleeping bag instead of tent/mattress combination.
Carrying spare socks and long underwear, sweater or vest, toque and raingear instead of a whole change of spare clothes.
Going without saw/axe/fixed blade knife.
Doing without fresh food or variety in food.
That all being said, I like comfort on the train and in camp so I'm always balancing the give and take.

Reactions: KenThis and CLEM

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Having had a bad lower back and crap right knee since I was 22 (accidents) I have been weight concious since.
My receipe:
No axe. One fullsize knife, one small knife as spare.
Lightest possible tent, underlay.
Sleeping bag suitable for the season.
Alu Trangia, but only half a liter bottle of Alcohol. No alcohol for short trips ( what I do these days)
Only dry food. (Freeze dried food, Vasa crackerbread, dried fruit, pasta.
Tea, coffee.)
One change of socks and underwear.

I used to carry max 15-18 kilos, on trips in the swedish mountains lasting about 2 weeks.

No need to go crazy and start wasting money on titanium and ultra super lightweight stuff.
Better to only take the essentials and leave the rest at home.

These days, for a two night trip in the wild my pack weights around 5 kilos if we are two people.
That is including two cans of beer.

Most people generally carry way to much stuff.
After the trip, check what you did not use, remove it for the next trip.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Something that may be worth evaluating are the range of commercial airtight stainless steel kitchen containers. Unlike many domestic storage options the lids are completely removable with a rubber seal & multiple locking points. All the benefits of a small billy-can or large mug plus the ability to transport water without needing a separate canteen. Downside, not as easy as a bottle to take a quick chug from. Then again if you are stopping for sit down rest a few extra seconds is not really an issue. I know plastic bottles do not weigh much but these commercial containers would only have to be fraction lighter than a commonly carried Zebra pot to make them potentially viable as a dual function item for some.
onyxcontainers.com/22-airtight

For true gram saving madness however there is nothing finer than the plastic hat. Keeps your head dry, the sun out of your eyes, available in multiple styles that blend seamlessly with traditional garb. So easy to clean you could eat out of it :biggrin:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I like the look of the Onyx condiment container - really useful for stuff to lift the flavour of dehydrated foods as well as all sorts of other uses.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Another food tip is to collect those small sachets of salt, pepper and sugar, plus the plastic pouches of mayo, ketchup and mustard .

Source - coffee houses, fast food joints.
Always fresh.

I keep them in a small hard plastic container.

I find that the iconic Kanken from Fjallraven is an excellent light daypack. The quality has gone down since they moved production out from Sweden, but still good.
Wife uses a small one as a carry-on handbag, in addition to a hardshell, 'proper' carry-on.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
TOMSHOO offers a very cheap and good constructed 750 ml titanium mug.

It costs about the same price like a lot of stainless steel pots!

It has a handle like a Zebra pot to hang it over a fire and additional a folding handle like a britisch army canteen mug.

They offer it alone or in a set with a 450ml cup.
Two lids are included and a folding spork.

It isn't necessary to buy it immediately, if you own a pot. But if you need a new one, I recommend this!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, it is! And especially the price is impressive! The competition usually ask for the double!

Very impressive is the Petzl e-lite head lamp too. Nothing for rocks and mountains, but enough for flat country.
In the summer it is surely all you need. Around 25g including batteries.

Decathlon Solognac X-Access
Hunting Rucksack 50 litres 960g

Decathlon Tarp Arpenaz Kaki 560g
(They count in the weight on the side steel poles and pegs and cords, 560g solo is right)

Military Tarp-Poncho Defcon vegetao italiano camouflage 400g with Nato Stock Number

Snugpack Special Forces bivvy bag 340g with Nato Stock Number

Snugpack Special Forces 1 weights alone 1030g.
It is a 3Seasons sleeping bag with Nato Stock Number, made in Britain!

Both together fit in the Snugpack dry Sack 8 litres 60g

German Army Folding Mat 425g with Nato Stock Number

Decathlon Rain Cut suit 400g

Volvic Ice Tea plastic bottle 1 litre 36g

Bic mini lighter 13g

Wilkinson Razor orange 4g

Decathlon aluminium peg orange 9g

Decathlon Simond Cord orange,
2 mm x 10m holds 80kg, 20g

Decathlon towel S, pink, 45g

Sea to Summit head mosquito net 11g

Compass Silva Ranger SL 24g

Victorinox Compact 64g

Opinel Carbone No 8, blade 8,5cm, 45g

Opinel Carbone No 7, blade 7,7cm, 35g

back up torch Photon Micro 6g

I wrote half a book about this equipment in the neighbour forum "Life in the Wilderness" in the Threads "How light is lightweight?" (Exploring/ On Foot) and "Wild Camping"

If anyone should be interested in lightweight equipment, he is invited to have a look there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I do like 5.11 packs. They are well made and well thought out and very good quality.
But they aren't light.

So is that MOLLE/military look the kind of thing you like? Are you also looking for something about that capacity (35L-ish)?
What about the Snugpak Sleeka Force 35?

https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeka-force

A range of colours and a significant weight saving over the 5.11. I swear by mine. OK, so it's not MOLLE, but it has enough external pouches (one in the lid, two side pouches, and a rain cover pouch on the bottom) that you don't realistically need to add (which will only add more weight and cost anyway), a good 700grams lighter, and if you shop around a bit you can get them at much less than the listed price. It is generous 35L as well.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE