Going it alone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
When you`re planning a trip or just out and about for a few days foraging do you prefer to go it alone, or be part of a team? when i say team i mean at least one good reliable mate/buddy.
The reason i ask is; most out door activities involve at least 2 people as a minimum for safety reasons. Climbing,kayaking,mountain biking,fell walking,scuba diving,etc,etc, even green laning in a 4x4 has a recommendation that 2 vehicles are involved, so are bush craft camping and expeditions any different?

groundhog

May 25, 2005
Manchester
I go with a mate sometimes or frequently alone but if you're forraging maybe a mate along in case you mess up and get the squits/projectile vomitting would be useful as theres not much worse than sick and alone miles from anywhere.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Definitely a social thing - at least half the experience is sharing it as far as I'm concerned.

Sometimes it's just the dog and me, but not very often as he doesn't like tea much and, if I'm honest, his fireside conversation is a bit on the limited side and mostly to do with how good something else's urine smelt 30 seconds ago.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I'm almost always on my own with my dog, it's only recently I've been out with others I've met from the forum.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Mostly on my own(sheds a silent tear) as most my friends, are not remotely interested, but i do get a couple of days each year, camping with a mixed group of friends, which is a good laugh.

Rob

Depends what I'm doing. If I'm primarily fishing or watching wildlife then it's nearly always solo. Other people can be a real pain in the butt when doing these things. Nearly always they'll be bored waiting for something to happen whether it's a fish on a hook or for an otter to appear when your in your bivi/hide. Most people can't get "into the zone", they don't really become one with the landscape or even with the now and are nearly always impatient with themselves. I live for that experience and I really value it so much that even though I do enjoy sharing it; it is preferential for me to go solo as I get so much more from the experience.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy good company but chosen well:lmao:, and I love sharing experiences. It enrichens our lives and some things are better shared. Like a days bimble playing with bushcraft toys:eek: or about teaching others in workshops.

But even so, there is nothing more liberating than spending a few days absolutley alone in a remotish place. I usually find time in winter for this and make a midwinter pilgrimage to a quiet bothy far from high hills, where I can enjoy solitude for solitudes sake and enjoy the long nights in front of a fire with a good book...

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
You make a good point Big Beast
My preference is alone; its one of the reasons I do it however I do make sure SWMBO knows where I am going and when to expect me back and I do take my phone and phone home on extended trips
I do go camping and hiking with a small group of mates but thats a completely different experience to my mind
I also canoe alone and am very aware of the saftey issues there

relfy

Nomad
I like being on my own when out and about doing stuff - walking, foraging, exploring, tracking etc. But then at the end/beginning of the day, by the fire or whatever, I like to have company. That combination doesn't usually work well - you can't drag someone around just for the company later. It only works if you are with someone who likes to be alone too - then you can be on your own, but together, if you see what I mean? I'm basically saying what Woodsmoke said I think. :) There is an exception - its nice being out with someone if they are teaching you something or vice versa.

In the past i have gone solo, mainly in the winter but it tends to be a group camp these days with people doing their own thing through the day while i stay in camp tending the fire and cooking an evening meal for the group, i have a rough idea of the plans for the day for people and a general idea of what time they will return, then i can sit and chill round the fire in good company hearing about what they got up to.
works for me. lol.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I always used to go long distance walking alone - including high level walks.
These days I like a little company as I spend most of my days working alone....

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i go solo 90% of the time, but i got a couple of friends who come alond now and again. i quite like 'alone time' sometimes though to just get away from everything, phone off no distractions just me out in the world

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
been doing alot of solo camping on my own lately and i enjoy it.
went with a friend last week and that was good ,its nice to have someone to talk to have a drink with and share stories etc. but i do like camping out in the woodlands with my little 7 year old boy he loves it plus he gets to shoot the the bow and learn about the outdoors.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE