Glutton for punishment, why did I send a package via Royal mail again...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sent a bow international signed for 9 days ago. The status is showing its taken that long to get to Heathrow, pretty sure I could have walked it there my self in less time.
The worst thing though is calling the completely useless customer services for any more information. It took 20 minutes one a chargeable number to ascertain that they know where it is but cannot confirm its location. That it "might" have been classed as a weapon or they "might" have had to inspect the package before shipping it on but could not confirm any of this.
I asked if it was being processed, they couldn't confirm even though according to their scant records it is still with RoyalMail, although they couldn't confirm that either.

Now I dont "think" its been lost but on the flip side they wont do anything about looking for it until the 10th of June! Surely in this day and age its possible to know exactly where a tracked item is, barcodes, GPS, tracking computer systems???

Its all my fault for giving RM one last chance.

Rant over.

Last edited:

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I remember sending something to China, signed for. It never got there so I sent a duplicate normal post.
3 months later my original letter was returned to me. When I spoke to RM. They told me that because China doesn't have a signed for service they hadn't sent it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Now I dont "think" its been lost but on the flip side they wont do anything about looking for it until the 10th of June! Surely in this day and age its possible to know exactly where a tracked item is, barcodes, GPS, tracking computer systems???

did you keep the receipt, if its been sent internatonal signed for the receipt should have a 13 digit barcode on it to track it, you track it through the RM track & trace service here http://www.royalmail.com/track-trace just type the barcode in the box provided and it should tell you where the package is. Have you already tried doing this?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
PS to last post, by the way i think if its sent by International Signed For it is only tracked until it leave the UK (a signature is required from recipient but it is not tracked once it leaves the UK), for total tracking right to door of recipient i believe it has be sent by International Tracked & Signed (which used to caled Airsure i think).

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
did you keep the receipt, if its been sent internatonal signed for the receipt should have a 13 digit barcode on it to track it, you track it through the RM track & trace service here http://www.royalmail.com/track-trace just type the barcode in the box provided and it should tell you where the package is. Have you already tried doing this?

It was sent tracked, insured and signed for mate. I have used their online service for "tracking" which has said exactly the same thing since I posted it, that its in Heathrow.
This is why I called for an update or a little more information which they didnt have.
It seems that sending something "Tracked" is pointless when it doesnt move anywhere. Also if they cannot provide a reason why it hasn't moved or when it may decide to move.

I also found out that the signed for part is not worth a carrot as no record/proof of the signature will be kept or provided to me at any point.

Cost nearly £30 too for a package that is long granted but is only 1.5kg

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i wonder if there has been a problem because of its length, i may be wrong but i thought RM had a limit on the 'length' of parcels sent (something like 900mm or thereabouts), any longer and i thought it had to be sent by Parcelforce (perhaps a mistake by cashier not considering length), even if that was so they should still know where it is, just a thought, sorry i can only offer symapthy which ain't much practical use.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Feel for you mate. Ive sent tons of stuff around the world with no losses and good delivery times. Hopefully they will pull their finger out eventually. Sadly the alternatives are very pricy

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Glutton for punishment, why did I send a package via Royal mail again...
It's a lot like using a bow-drill, you know it works really well and succeeded many times before but every once in a while it'll try destroying your faith.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The current limits on size as explained to me by the post office staff was a maximum of two meters over all width/length.
The package was 180cm long and 10cm wide so was accepted as being fine.

I could have understood if there was a problem with shipping services, a delay in available air-craft etc but its the same as many other larger organisations now in that Customer Services is simply a deflection service. Its almost like they have to have a customer services department to tick a box even though they have little or no information or ability to resolve issues.
Try as you may to extract any meaningful information or resolution from the conversation but all you will get in return is a repetitive hollow apology.

Pretty much all of the larger companies are the same now and I deal with a lot of them on a daily basis. Attempts to speak to higher management are met with excuses or hostility. Official complaints are via email or in writing with 30 day turn around and even then its a generic delay tactic letter with no meaningful content.

Sorry all have spent my day dealing with these numpties in order which is enough to send anyone potty.

Royal Mail,
Microsoft,
Symantec,
BT.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've had the same problem a couple of times in the last six months. In both cases RM had sent it surface delivery. This was despite me clearly saying International Signed For - Air. You get no movement at all when you check the tracking. I'm pretty sure this is what has happened here. It's literally on a slow boat.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I'd send a nice email to the CEO about the situation, telephone call length, time, lack of information, etc.
Did it once when I was being mucked about by their customer services, all sorted within 48hrs :)

moya.greene@royalmail.com

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Will give them until tomorrow then start kicking up a stink. I hope its just as JonathanD says and its current on a paddle steamer across t water.

Should have known better.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for chasing this up for me Andy I appreciate it.

It seems that the tracking is not updated until delivery which is daft and why customer services had no idea this was the case I dont know.
I hope the problem here is the service being labelled as "tracked and Signed for" is misleading,,
Signed for meaning someone has to physically receive it but you wont get a copy of their signature and tracked meaning you will know its due to go outside the UK at some point,

Thanks to Andy I know that its now in Denmark and hopefully on its way. Fingers crossed. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE