... ¼ tsp black pepper
1 egg
1 ¾ cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp salt
3 cups beef broth
3 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp cornstarch

Combine ground beef, onions, rice, black pepper and egg; divide into six equal portions. Shape each into a 1 inch thick patty. Coat a skillet with cooking oil and cook patties for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet; keep warm.

Add mushrooms to the skillet and cook for three minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and beef broth; cook for another ten minutes.

Return patties to the skillet, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the patties to a platter; keep warm. Combine water and cornstarch; add to broth mixture, stirring well. Bring to a boil then cook ONE minute more. Serve over patties.

*NOTE* measuremants are American; not Emperical. An American cup is only 8 ounces.

Alternatively use uncooked oatmeal in place of rice.

Last edited:
P

Passer

That is definitely one for the recipe book, thanks.:)
You obviously have gluten free oatmeal that side of the pond, not come across it this side, as yet.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That is definitely one for the recipe book, thanks.:)
You obviously have gluten free oatmeal that side of the pond, not come across it this side, as yet.

Don't use instant oatmeal and pretty much ALL oatmeal is GF in and of itself. The problem is that they can't certify it unless it's processed and packed in a GF facility.

We don't use certified GF in my house and my daughter's had very few problems. TBH my kitchen wouldn't qualify to be certified as I cook glutenous foods in it also. we're just careful not to let them intermingle.

Last edited:
P

Passer

Don't use instant oatmeal and pretty much ALL oatmeal is GF in and of itself. The problem is that they can't certify it unless it's processed and packed in a GF facility.

We don't use certified GF in my house and my daughter's had very few problems. TBH my kitchen wouldn't qualify to be certified as I cook glutenous foods in it also. we're just careful not to let them intermingle.
We`re still going through the process of determining the status of oats, whether they contain gluten or are contaminated in the field or during processing. Gluten free rolled oats are available in supermarkets, but to my knowledge oatmeal is not.
I agree, the cross contamination at home is a tricky subject, I suspect most families find a level that all are comfortable with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE