Gloves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rowantk

Jun 11, 2010
uk
Hi all, now that winter is upon us Im looking for some decent gloves. Mainly for work. Im a postman so am out in the wind and rain for upto 5 hours. I suffer from bad circulation and last winter some days (especially when wet) my fingers became really painful!
So Ive decided to dump my old wollen fingerless gloves and splash out on a pair which will keep my hands/fingers toasty. But leaving my index finger and thumb free to sort through letters. Ive been looking an certain hunting/shooting gloves. but I really dont have a clue what will do the job.
If any of you guys know anytthing about which gloves I should look at please reply.

Thanks! :)

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
Not advice as such but I would steer clear of sealskinz gloves. I bought some last year as they are waterproof, fit really well, have high grip patches and have a merino wool lining. Sound perfect but I have found they don't warm my hands. They keep my hands at whatever temperature I put the glove on at. For example, my hands were really cold last night, I put the gloves on and had a brisk 10 min walk to a shopping centre. My hands were just as cold when I arrived, after taking the gloves off they warmed up in about 2 mins. At the end of the night I put the gloves back on (with warm hands this time) and they kept my hands warm on the way back to the car. I don't know if anyone else has found this but I'm seriously thinking of changing back to some wool or fleece ones and give up on the waterproofing.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
With bad circulation you need to keep your hands as warm as possible as you know. Don't laugh, but look at these, a mate of mine if a fisherman and tells me they are fantastic.
http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/ba...base&ctype=2&gclid=COvCzsSMwaUCFcxO4QoddT_1Ug As they heat the back of the glove you perhaps could snip off the ends of the index finger and thumb glove? You look after yourself mate, don't hamper circulation as it will only make matters worse over time.

rb1985

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 26, 2010
newcastle
i have a fisheman mate with bad circulation who swears bye wearing extra layers on his arms (he cuts the sleeves off old jumpers), and a thick pair of fleece gloves from the local hiking shop with the thumb, index and middle fingers cut off.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you can manage to put one hand in your pocket at a time then it might be worth trying one of the zippo hand warmers. They'll run for 12 hours so much more than easily do your five. I bought one for the wife from Lurch and she loves it. I reckon I'll be getting a few more before Christmas. :)

Mittens are a lot better for warmth than gloves as you probably know, I've got some which have mittens that fold back to reveal fingerless gloves so you can have the best of both worlds. Mine aren't actually these but they're just the same:

http://www.whipperleys.co.uk/acatalog/shooters_mitts_suede_palm.html

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
On the contrary to Cal, I have found sealskinz really good! I do however use some silk lining gloves when it's really cold and I'm outside all day/into the night as I have atrocious circulation and my hands are perpetually cold. They have some shooting gloves which you can remove the index finger/thumb which could be good.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
Couple or 3 suggestions :
- agree with the idea of sealskinz with a silk liner glove. I've had problems in the past keeping warm in sealskinz, but excellent for keeping dry
- Musto windstopper shooting gloves - I've found these very warm and pretty good if you proof them with Grangers or similar.
- neoprene shooting/fishing gloves
Silk liners certainly help to keep really warm

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
Have thou thought of a pair of army gloves... i bought them the guy said they were Soldier 95 or somthing.
They are leather with a gortex lining, They may be a bit bulky for sorting letters (but they do come in different sizes, i had to get a smaller pair for the fingers not to be far too long and pad them out with paper to stretch the top hand part)
I think they were about £8

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I am a fisherman with bad circulation and have only found one answer to this problem.

Handwarmers in your pockets and bare hands. Get the handwarmers nice and toastie and put them in your pockets, when you are not using your hands put them on the warmers to dry out and warm up, this means your hands are dry warm and able to function when you need them.

I have tried every type of glove on the market and nothing works.

Super expensive insulated goretex gloves suffer from the fact the insulation gets wet, you WILL need to take them off from time to time, and when they are wet they are murder to get back on, they do offer protection against wind chill, but thats it.

Sealskins/neoprene just dont promote good circulation, plus they dont offer offer as good insulation as they say on the tin.

All non waterproof gloves fleece, wool etc just get wet and hold water on your hands making them cold making you want to take them off and dry your hands

The problem about fishing is its labour intensive, if your not fishing your not catching, any fisherman worth their salt has spent to much time with cold hands and will give you a decent idea on how to get the paws warm.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Agreed on Sealskinz, I find they are not even waterproof after 3 or 4 hours and as I am a bit of a "sweater" I find they get wet inside also, especially if the cuffs are inside my jacket. I have not found a totally waterproof and warm long term solution other than using inner gloves and split mitts but that would be a pain in the wotsit for a postie. However, check out sailing gloves - I have a pair of Musto gloves that have the tips of the index finger and thumb free for working detailed stuff, these are great in the cold and will keep you going for hours, especially if you use them in conjunction with handwarmer pockets in your jacket.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Another vote for silk glove liners. They give surprising warmth just on their own, and are thin enough that you can do stuff while wearing them. Add a thicker glove on top for real warmth.

Yorkshire

Nov 2, 2010
Newcastle
Hi all, now that winter is upon us Im looking for some decent gloves. Mainly for work. Im a postman so am out in the wind and rain for upto 5 hours. I suffer from bad circulation and last winter some days (especially when wet) my fingers became really painful!
So Ive decided to dump my old wollen fingerless gloves and splash out on a pair which will keep my hands/fingers toasty. But leaving my index finger and thumb free to sort through letters. Ive been looking an certain hunting/shooting gloves. but I really dont have a clue what will do the job.
If any of you guys know anytthing about which gloves I should look at please reply.

Thanks! :)

Im a postie, use these perfect bud!!

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/14A1100

TaviaRS

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I have a pair of Outdoor Research arete gloves - they are stunning, keeping my hands warm down to about -40. My better half has poor circulation so, based on my experience with mine over the past 10 years, I bought her some. First time I've actually heard her complain that her hands were too hot!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am a b*gger for losing gloves, I recently had a pair of these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/trekmates-tromso-3-in-1-mens-gloves-p129096 but I lost one of the liners. I was not really impressed with them, I'm not all that impressed by the neoprene fisherman's gloves as per the argos pair either, however I have recently rediscovered a pair of luftwaffe leather flying gloves that I have not seen for years, they are the business.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE