Gloves?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I have a pack of simple leather work gloves, they are the American yellowish ones which have no lining. When they get muddy (after wrestling with my dogs and his stick today, I saddle soap and oil them. They are tough as boots, water resistant and I keep a thin pair or merino liners for when it turns really cold. I find this fits almost all of my needs.

Then I went out today after what I thought was a wounded deer from what I had heard, with my hound, he shot straight along the trail and I forgot the gloves. I then realised what importance they held. The deer wasn't that bad and walked off fine.

Pic shows the glove in packaging, my eight month old pair and my hand from 30 mins and two encounters with brambles, without them today.

Costco did them a little cheaper but here they are: http://www.sunvisstore.co.uk/3-pair-pack-wells-lamont-premium-leather-work-gloves-mens-561-p.asp

SAM_4009.jpg

Ropers gloves........fantastic things.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Funnily enough, Dougster, I was looking at something very similar in the local garden centre yesterday, for use at the allotment. They were a tenner a pair. A pack of 3 pairs would cover that, bushy stuff, and a pair for the workshop (for handling iffy bits of metal). Does your hand measure the 8" for medium? And what do you oil them with?

I am a size 7.5 but these are a little big, my hands are very small believe it or not. If you are 8 inch across the hand these should be fine. I find they are tough and dexterity is great. I use Golden mink oil from LePrevo on them and saddle soap to clean. Any thin merino liners would work in these too, I wore them in Scotland in the snow below freezing and was fine.

N

Nomad

I am a size 7.5 but these are a little big, my hands are very small believe it or not. If you are 8 inch across the hand these should be fine. I find they are tough and dexterity is great. I use Golden mink oil from LePrevo on them and saddle soap to clean. Any thin merino liners would work in these too, I wore them in Scotland in the snow below freezing and was fine.

I'm dead on 8, so have ordered a 3-pack of mediums. I stumbled on the Le Prevo site a couple of nights ago - looks worth a mooch around. Saddle soap - squirty bottle or traditional tin?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
+1 to this, Mikes bang on, cheap as chips. If it gets really cold i stick a pair of these inside.

Concur with Mike and Gray on this one. I've heard the Soldier 95 gloves cost the government £40 a pair and I can believe it. Seriously good kit: waterproof, warm enough, good feel, fairly robust.

I've also got a pair of the Wells Lamont rigger gloves - mine have curiously darkened with use too. Very tough but not waterproof - at least mine aren't. I sometimes use them as bike gloves in the summer. Apparently they are popular with the Indiana Jones re-enacting folks.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a pack of simple leather work gloves, they are the American yellowish ones which have no lining.
SAM_4009.jpg

I use work gloves just like them and have been looking for some more - cheers Rich - I usually wear through the fingers and stitching in the end - +1 on the saddle soap keeps them supple

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I ragged out my final pair of cowhides throwing logs around this week - perfect excuse to stock up :)

It'll be neatsfoot oil on mine though!

N

Nomad

Mine just arrived. The 'size chart' on the back of the package is really some drawn outlines of a thumb and a couple of fingers, with M, L, XL overlapping. The idea is that you put your hand over the outlines and decide which one will fit. Not much use for posting here. However, my hand is bang on 8" around the palm, and the M size gloves are a very nice fit. Length is also good - on my hands, tip of middle finger to edge of palm at heel is 7.2". On the gloves, finger length on index and middle fingers is spot on, thumb, ring and pinkie are are a smidge longer, but not enough to make me want to do some sewing and trimming.

They want to lie a bit flat after being in the packaging, but should mould to the shape of my hands with some wearing. I would say that the fit is quite snug, such that an insulating layer underneath would need to be quite thin (used to have some Barbour thermal liners that were rather good, and would go inside these nicely).

Overall, well worth the money at 24 quid for three pairs. Nice, well made, supple, full leather work gloves. Even if I decide not to use them for bushy stuff, I'm more than happy with these for the allotment and workshop.

So, mashed cow bits or liquidised minks?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Liquidised minks.

Glad my recommendation was ok for you. I just wear merino liners when I need to, forgot them on a really cold day last week in the wind and knew about it quickly.

I can just about get thin lambswool gloves under and work now then have stretched with use.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In support of Rich's post, here are my last pair of worn through cow hide gloves :(

1) Old Work Gloves by British Red, on Flickr

I was very pleased with the Wells Lamont at £8 a pair delivered

6) Wells Lamont cowhide Gloves by British Red, on Flickr
They are a flexible cowhide - comfortable to wear for long periods and they feel quite soft. They have a "ropers" reinforced plam which is particularly handy for working with fence wire

7) Ropers Palms by British Red, on Flickr

Now these are fairly soft and flexible to begin with, but find cowhide does stiffen up when its gets wet and dirty and dries out. So the first thing I do is douse them with Neatsfoot oil (a bit different from Richard's choice but I have some and it works for me)

The oil soaks in, softens and protects the leather from absorbing too much water.

8) Neatsfoot Oil by British Red, on Flickr
The leather will darken - go back over any very light areas (between the fingers and along the seams normally)

Next I rub over the gloves with sadde soap. This seals in the oil and adds another measure of protection

9) Saddle Soap by British Red, on Flickr

Once that is done you can see how flexible the leather is

10) Pliable Gloves by British Red, on Flickr

Next I pull them on and wear them for a bit while they dry and confrom to my hand

11) Wear to dry by British Red, on Flickr

Very pleased with the purchase Rich - thanks for the heads up. I may well buy some merino liners t try with them too!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
They certainly look better after youve treated them. I use the same stuff on my leather bits.

Agree on the soldier 95's though. Great value.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Are the solider 95 gloves goretex lined? are they thermal linedas well? I know they dont look like they have a big chunky lining, but is there at least a thin wool or fibre liner?
yep, goretex lined and quite well insulated. Pretty warm, if it gets really cold i wear a pair of silk liners which only cost a fiver and I find the combination handles any temps the Uk throws at us. Agree on the cuffs though, they can get in the way a bit but I've got used to them over the years.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I've got a pair of NI gloves knocking about somewhere in half decent nick, size M- L. Theres a small nick in one of em which will stitch easily enough. If anyone wants em, send me a pm and I'll stick em in the post, FOC.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE