global warming vs pollution

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
HTML:
The only indisputable fact is that nobody knows absolutely what is triggering climate change.

You are correct. The only indisputable fact is that it is getting warmer. Only wish that the chart represented the stock that I own and not the temps. :lmao:

geo_chris

Jan 31, 2007
Castleford, W Yorkshire
Last Winter (not thewinter just gone) there were various news reports that we were in for a bad winter and the UK only had a few days worth of gas reserves - these reports stated that the continental countries had weeks/months worth of reserves. What happened, gas and electricity prices suddenly rose and the investors in these companies benefited.

What happened to this bad winter? It never materialised. Where was the winter this year? I have only defrosted my car windscreen once this year! My kids were looking forward to playing in the snow this year and we didn't get any.

Something is happening to the weather, I can remember as a kid having weeks of knee deep snow (I was living in Germany at the time) but now we are lucky to have a snow flurry. You only need to look at nature to realise something is amiss, buds are appearing on the trees earlier, bulds/flowers are pushing their way up, even the morning song of birds is occurring earlier.

We talk about individual global footprints, but what about commercial global footprints who are only interested in maximising their profits at any expense not matter what. Even the government has got in on this with talks of green taxes to maximise their income without any clear plans/goals in reducing the country/global carbon footprint. At the end of the day everybody is out to maximise what they get out of this crisis.

As a mere mortal what can I get out of this? Extra taxation because my boiler is the wrong type, or becuase I drive 10 miles more than Joe Bloggs. The only winners are the government and the oil companies who are dong nothing to abte this except line their own pockets.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Greg, you are talking about pollution, which I think everyone agrees is a bad thing. However, carbon dioxide is not a pollutant, it occurs naturally in huge quantities, and is essential for the ecosystems that sustain the earth. The argument from the global warming lobby is that even clean CO2 is bad, because it is causing the increasing temperatures, which the film seems to say is scientifically wrong.

Nice graphs, Madrussian, but they only show that temperatures are increasing, not what the cause is! Nobody is saying that average temperatures haven't increased over the last 100 years.

I think windfarms are ugly and intrusive, and seldom give anywhere like the promised energy production in actual practice. Much better to reduce energy use...

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Wink said:
Greg, you are talking about pollution, which I think everyone agrees is a bad thing. However, carbon dioxide is not a pollutant, it occurs naturally in huge quantities, and is essential for the ecosystems that sustain the earth. The argument from the global warming lobby is that even clean CO2 is bad, because it is causing the increasing temperatures, which the film seems to say is scientifically wrong.

Nice graphs, Madrussian, but they only show that temperatures are increasing, not what the cause is! Nobody is saying that average temperatures haven't increased over the last 100 years.

I think windfarms are ugly and intrusive, and seldom give anywhere like the promised energy production in actual practice. Much better to reduce energy use...

I remember politicians wheeling out experts and their own kids; all claiming that BSE was not that bad and British beef was 100% safe to eat. A year later we learnt that beef was ok, if it had not been fed members of its family (And high doses of aluminium sulphate)
And now years later the new “experts” are counter claiming that a known event is not happening.
Historical evidence shows a cyclical increase of about 2oC in global temperature is followed by an Ice age; the normal event period for this is about ten thousand years. Over the last 150 years there has been a plus 1.4 to 1.6oC average increase (mean average .8.oC)
The Co2 levels are 1.3 times the pre-industrial levels (measured at the maximum recorded level) It is interesting to know that another “warming gas” is 2.3 times the pre-industrial level, methane gas given off by cattle. Methane is a powerful greenhouse gas – twenty three times as powerful as carbon dioxide. Co2 might not be the only thing that we are polluting the air with.

Seven kilograms of grain are required to produce 1 kilogram of beef; the conversion is 4-to-1 for pork and 2-to-1 for poultry. Each kilogram of meat represents several kilograms of grain that could be consumed directly by humans.
To produce 31.2 million tonne of meat in 1993; US farm animals were fed 192.7 million tonne of feed concentrates, mostly corn. Additional feed took the form of roughage and pasture
Animal meat is wasteful, much of the food eaten by cows for example is converted into manure, energy for movement, and the growth of body parts not eaten by people. Very little can appear as direct edible weight gain. For example, cattle excrete 40 kg of manure for every kilogram of edible beef produced
Environment Canada 1995

According to Ohio state university it takes 5 acres of low intensity grazing to produce 50 boneless kilograms of beef. That’s about 100 acres per tonne. And that is a lot of "cattle waste".

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If your talking about wanton waste of land and grain what about the brewing industry?

What we need is less fuss about global warming (the climate tends to change quite naturaly....and think what trouble we would have if an ice age was impending?) but better resource management.

Im doing work experience at our council depot, security, but I see the recycling too. They do a good job, but not as efficiently as some plants,

We have a whole warehouse of fridges and freezers destined for Germany for freon extraction. Cant we do this in this country?

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
DId anybody watch channel four on thursday night at 9? Quite some interesting things said by NASA meteoroligists, the founder of Greenpeace and scientists from many major educational institutes. The amount of Greenhouse gasses given off by everything we do was far less than what rotting leaves give off, what the oceans give off and what all other animals give off. There is a theory about Global Warming saying that maybe greenhouse gasses aren't the main contributor, but superova and more so explosions on the sun, the intensity of which is magnified by our atmosphere and clouds are more the cause. If you were to look at the graphs of the ice core CO2 levels and the recorded temperature of the same time, it shows that the CO2 levels followed the temperature rising by 800 years and not the other way round, the idea behind this is that when there are not many of the explosions going on, the sea cools and as it cools, it absorbs CO2, however when there is a spell of these explosions the sea is warmed and carbon dioxide is given off. Something which was also interesting was that there was some scientist who predicted what the weather would be like over a certain amount of time by studying sun spots and put bets on that his predictions would prove to be alot more accurate than the met office's predictions, this guy won alot of money from his bets.
I am not claiming this as fact, just another set of evidence.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wink said:

Thats funny I never mentioned Carbon Dioxide(CO2)!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The climate IS changing.

Various types of historical data say this has happened before.

History also tells us that species that require the most resources are the first in line for extinction when things become difficult.

History is littered with extinct civilisations that did not manage natural resources.

We know that as a species we are not managing natural resources, as well as we could. I DOES NOT TAKE A GENIUS TO WORK OUT WE ARE DIGGING OUR OWN GRAVE IF WE DONT START LIVING SUSTAINABLY.

In my humble opinion I don't believe carbon emissions are entirely to blame for climate change. But that is irrelavent. The climate is changing. Our present lifestyle has left us unadaptable, inflexible, and resource greedy. THE POPULATIONS THAT DON'T ADJUST WON'T SURVIVE.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
xylaria said:
The climate IS changing.

History also tells us that species that require the most resources are the first in line for extinction when things become difficult.

History is littered with extinct civilisations that did not manage natural resources.

We know that as a species we are not managing natural resources, as well as we could. I DOES NOT TAKE A GENIUS TO WORK OUT WE ARE DIGGING OUR OWN GRAVE IF WE DONT START LIVING SUSTAINABLY.

In my humble opinion I don't believe carbon emissions are entirely to blame for climate change. But that is irrelavent. The climate is changing. Our present lifestyle has left us unadaptable, inflexible, and resource greedy. THE POPULATIONS THAT DON'T ADJUST WON'T SURVIVE.

Quite a speech, but I have to say I think you have hit the nail on the head, well done that man!!

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
xylaria said:
The climate IS changing.

I agree. This is something that the general public and the media don't seem to understand though.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Well said xylaria,

Humans produce more and more of an item that consumes resources, creates pollution and finds better and better ways of prolonging its life, thereby causing it to consume more resources and create more pollution................humans.

IMO its cause and effect, humans have undeniably had an effect, and I believe the problem is so huge, either naturally occuring or man made, that its irreversable.

Nature will get rid of the cause................humans.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Steve R said:
Well said xylaria,

Humans produce more and more of an item that consumes resources, creates pollution and finds better and better ways of prolonging its life, thereby causing it to consume more resources and create more pollution................humans.

IMO its cause and effect, humans have undeniably had an effect, and I believe the problem is so huge, either naturally occuring or man made, that its irreversable.

Nature will get rid of the cause................humans.

The End Is Nigh Upon Us!!:(

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
That is as well put as I've ever seen it, and so succinctly too. I've been convinced about global warming for a long time, though oddly I'm not quite so convinced any more, but regardless of that we do have to start living within our means and the carbon footprint is something that can help towards this.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Greg said:
A very dry one no doubt:D

Yup :lmao:

But to get back on topic, there are a finite number of resources in the world, and unless something drastic happens to change the way we use/manage them, there will come a time when they are used up, maybe not in our lifetime, but sometime.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Steve R said:
Yup :lmao:

But to get back on topic, there are a finite number of resources in the world, and unless something drastic happens to change the way we use/manage them, there will come a time when they are used up, maybe not in our lifetime, but sometime.

ISN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!!!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I take it by the amount of people that have quoted stuff from "The Great Global Warming Swindle" that not many of you subscribe to New Scientist and have access to their archives then...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE