global warming vs pollution

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Did anyone see the latest reports (I heard something on 4 or 5 May, I think?) saying that we CAN reverse a lot of the damage that has been done, and it's not too late?

I missed them - we don't have great telly access here - and I was interested to see whether there was much truth/fact in them or whether it was the BBC sensationalising the news headlines!

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
cariboo said:
Who cut the last tree on Easter Island?

Now that the global warming bandwagon is loading, money is going to be made.
Throw out your old stuff, buy new stuff, more expensive stuff.

Spend less, buy locally, walk, ride a bike, buy fairly traded products like coffee, chocolate and sugar. All the simple things we have no excuses not to do. To stop exploiting people would go a long way towards slowing the effect of warming so that others might have a chance to cope. It's about people.

Everyone writing in this forum is well off and has a chance to have some backbone.
Just spend less money and the money we do spend, spend wisely. We don't need all this stuff. This is a most unpopular concept, lowering one's 'standard of living. Are we going to wait until we are forced to do so?

We claim that we love our children and that we are doing everything for them, but are they going to be thanking us when they reach our age, when only the rich can afford to eat well, drink clean water and breath clean air? I suppose we can hope that our children become one of those privileged few. And keep our heads in the sand.

So the rich got off Easter island and left us to eat each other.

Living in the Bush

QFT, except the rich didn't get off Easter Island; they ended up just as dirt poor as the rest of the remaining islanders once the whole thing shook out. Business as usual (infinite growth on a finite planet) just can't fly forever.

garbo: Turning your argument around, taking away all the nay-sayers who have something to gain from business as usual, there isn't much left for opposition. The universe is indeed uncaring and will march on with or without us.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
bushwacker bob said:
Way back in time,I have heard that Britain was under an Ice sheet, a few million years prior to that,It was hotter than the sahara.
I dont want to stir it up here,but I think the climate may change from time to time.Its been quite pleasant for the past 10,000 years.Maybe we are due a change?

Well, from the well-known orbital forcings, we should currently be in a slight cooling trend.

bushwacker bob said:
If we all took our fridges and freezers to the greenland ice sheet,and left the doors open,maybe we could stop it defrosting?

I'm just going to hope that that's a joke. It is a joke, right? ;)

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
hammock monkey said:
One point made at the RM talk recently that is snowballing in my mind is the idea that the 'carbon footprint' / global warming problem is no way near as big a deal as the pollution issue.
Its true that rising seas etc is a problem, no doubt about it, but if they do rise we can still live happily ever after (convieniently ignoring the issues such as reduced salinity etc)
but if the water becomes polluted, then the level wont matter... its game over for us, or at least the game isnt so great any more.
its the kind of subject i can hardly stand to think about because its too hard to imagine how bad things could be, but my point is that there's too much media attention given to a neat sounding issue 'carbon footprint' and pollution has kind of become a secondary problem....not so.
i'm at the point where i'm kind of ignoring the carbon stuff, its the levels of pollution that will poison our seas, land and rivers and ultimately all life that is ringing alarm bells with me.
nightmare. cant really escape it either.... it inspires me to make an effort anyway. i dont care if the products i buy do cost more, i eat from the garden as much as possible in the summer and do my best. fingers crossed the kids in school now will have the issue hammered into them so much that they'll actually do summat about it.
The concept of the 'green pound' is gaining momentum, gives a bit of hope anyway :)
The world has been getting along fine with out our interference And it will get along with out us.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE