Glo Worms

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I remember seeing some as a kiddy-wink but haven't seen any for ages?

Is there a reason? environmental?

Anyone seen any lately?

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Only place I've seen them was in Ireland I think... I was quite drunk for most (or all) of that trip though... They might have been imaginary ;)

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
We have them on one of our sites in the south east. They seem to be showing each year - or at least they have been there for the last couple of years. We have been spending time on the site since 1998 and the last couple of years is the first time that we have seen them.

I keep trying to take pictures of them - maybe I will get one that looks good one day.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
They're in the Chilterns.

Jim

Gloworms tend to be most noticeable during their breeding season June-July - on one nature reserve I manage outside Princes Risborough, Bucks over 2,000 were recorded on one 2 ha area of chalk grassland in summer 2004. I guess one problem may be that many areas of amenity grassland and lawns are often cut too frequently for them to inhabit- the females prefer areas of longer grassland which they can climb to exibit.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Looks like he stuffed a few into his fishing rod too. :eek:

LF_JUN_06.jpg

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
When i was in the army cadets a few years ago now, about 1990,there were loads of them in merworth woods(southeast england).We wanted to put them in a jar and read the map with them but no one had a jar. It would of worked tho.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I remember these, and the song...

Glo Friends, Glo Friends,
They hang about when the lights go out,
and gently glow from head to toe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE