Glencoe Seasonal Colour Changes

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I'm not sure where else to ask this question, but Flora and Fauna seem right enough, I'd say.

There's probably an obvious answer, but when does Glencoe turn green? I mean, the tussocky grass and all. Late summer? It's spring, but videos from a few days/weeks ago still show it as a reddish brown landscape. Most of the photos I see of Glencoe show a deep green colour. I mean, surely the reddish browns of the landscape are a part of autumn? I thought it'd have transformed into a lush green vista by now. This is not to say I dislike the aesthetic of the earthy colours. I'm just curious is all.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think it depends on lots of factors. It's been very dry this winter in the Highlands but there has also been lots of snow and cold weather. I was in Aviemore yesterday and the Cairngorms are still white over. A lot of the trees up here have only just got leaves on them too. We probably just need some rain and sun to get it all started.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could keep an eye on the webcams at the ski centre

It's been lush green when I've driven through in early June before

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's been overcast even more so than usual. Cold too. Even here in the lowlands things are well behind, my Beech and Birch trees only really opened up into green this last ten days. When I drive north I can feel the air change by north Perthshire, and then again when really into the Grampians....that's two levels slower than down here. It'll just be starting to open up now, give it a fortnight and things will be as they are now down here. The upper corries probably won't thaw out at all if this weather keeps up though. Snow all year is relatively common in pockets up there.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE