Glass on my Stove

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Afternoon everybody,

Sorry if this is wrongly placed, mods please move if necessary.

I have a nice little multifuel burned in my living room, lovely on a cold evening, and I mainly burn logs over a bed of coal/maxibright.

But the glass keeps getting blackened and you can't see the flames!

Am i being a complete numpty or can i do something to prevent this?!

Thanks folks!

Drew

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Afternoon everybody,

Sorry if this is wrongly placed, mods please move if necessary.

I have a nice little multifuel burned in my living room, lovely on a cold evening, and I mainly burn logs over a bed of coal/maxibright.

But the glass keeps getting blackened and you can't see the flames!

Am i being a complete numpty or can i do something to prevent this?!

Thanks folks!

Drew

Might be your damping the stove down too much and not letting it burn hot enough to clean the glass off, also some stoves have what they call an airwash which is an inlet (usually in the door or front of the stove) which lets clean air into the stove and keeps the glass clean.

Maybe.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Well we have a Parkray and the glass gets blackened every day. We have just gotten into the habit of attacking it with a Brillo pad each morning when we clean out the ashes. Don't know if there's a better or proper way but it's what we have been doing for years.

Eric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do you have top and bottom air inlets in your stove? If so close the bottome air inlets when the wood is well alight and open only the top ones. This drags air in the top over the glass and underneath the grate keeping soot off the glass. If burning coal or smokeless then close the top vents when alight to draw air through the bottom. Cooler air in the bottm prevents you burning the bars out on your grate.

Red

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
We have exactly the same problem, got our multi burner fitted on Thursday(did have open fire) we are only burning hard wood and the glass gets well sooted(baked on hard to remove) every night, i dont really mind but it drives the misses mad as she wants to see the flames,have tried the top airwash vent but does'nt help that much if i close the bottom totally because we are only burning wood it tends to suffocate the fire, any other options?????Currently having to clean glass everymorning with hob cleaner,which struggles to remove the bulid up, but we dont want to use abrasive stuff incase it scratches the glass.

Last edited:

waterman

Nov 1, 2009
twickenham
I used to have a pioneer 400 multi fuel. I found that the seasoning of the wood was critical.If it was hardwood seasoned for just 1 year then the best burn was full top vent but still give it some lower vent as the airwash was only effective when there was low moisture in the wood. shutting the stove down for overnight burning as previous posts suggested reduces heat and therefore increases sooting. I overcame the issue by burning the greener wood or scrap wood during the evening then putting a decent sized log of well seasoned oak/beech for the night.Failing that avoid brillo, use cream cleaner or washing up liquid on damp paper.All part of the joys of watching dancing flames.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Let me guess you bought some fiirewood from a dealer who swore it was "bone dry mate" Wet wood is #1 cause of blacking.
What type of wood are you burning? Pallet wood produces tarry resins which are black.
Whats the flue like is it clean and clear, do you get a decent draw? It miight need cleaning, they need doing every 6 months. On mine if I want a superhot burn I inlet the air 2/3 from below, 1/3 airwash. I use almost exclusively ash and oak logs, which burn hot and reasonably long. Birch is hot too but short lived.....I light up then let it go full throttle for 10 minutes or so until the stove top is too hot to touch, then damp it down. I did get trouble with tarred glass (and flues) but that was when I bought firewood from dealers. Very few if any supply geninne dry seasoned logs. Once I started doing my own (2 or 3 cords a year) at about 1/12th the price, and had full control over the cutting splitting stacking and drying, that problem has reduced to a negligable amount
Try this tip to clean the glass. Get a damp cloth and dip it in wood ash out the ash pan. Then rub it on the glass. It works a treat, some sort of chemical reaction breaks down the tar very quick and it doesnt scratch the glass.

S

scott mcmillan

sorry mate, have had wood stoves for 10 years plus . have tried all the idears on keeping the glass clean. but to be honest we burn anything we can get are hands on from oak to old doors (no point in wasting wood?) so have ended up just cleaning the glass when it goes black.
at the end of the day just enjoy the fire and laugh at the people who dont even have chimneys in there homes

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL its not funny really, but almost exactly 2 years ago a neighbours house was burnt to a shell because their flue was tarred up (and leaking) it was on fire and set the thatch alight. They only just finished the rebuild (listed property) in the last few weeks.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Let me guess you bought some fiirewood from a dealer who swore it was "bone dry mate" Wet wood is #1 cause of blacking.
What type of wood are you burning? Pallet wood produces tarry resins which are black.
Whats the flue like is it clean and clear, do you get a decent draw? It miight need cleaning, they need doing every 6 months. On mine if I want a superhot burn I inlet the air 2/3 from below, 1/3 airwash. I use almost exclusively ash and oak logs, which burn hot and reasonably long. Birch is hot too but short lived.....I light up then let it go full throttle for 10 minutes or so until the stove top is too hot to touch, then damp it down. I did get trouble with tarred glass (and flues) but that was when I bought firewood from dealers. Very few if any supply geninne dry seasoned logs. Once I started doing my own (2 or 3 cords a year) at about 1/12th the price, and had full control over the cutting splitting stacking and drying, that problem has reduced to a negligable amount
Try this tip to clean the glass. Get a damp cloth and dip it in wood ash out the ash pan. Then rub it on the glass. It works a treat, some sort of chemical reaction breaks down the tar very quick and it doesnt scratch the glass.

Mr D is bang on with everything he has said above.

If you can process all of your wood, from collecting to ash you know what you are burning, just remember that the black muck you are getting on your glass is also building up in your chimney! This is generally caused by damp wood or bad air flow.

We have a large glass panel in our stove and it stays clean as long as the airflow is kept right, by this I mean enough to keep a good level of flame (see below) whilst burning, this burns off the gasses that contain the harmful tar that will build up in your stove and chimney.

As for using wood ash to clean the glass, you wont get any better and its free. But, remember, only use pure wood ash, not a mixture of wood and solid fuel ash as this will scratch the glass in next to no time.

Happy burning. :)

IMG_3576.jpg

Last edited:

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Yellow and orange flames are lower temp thus producing blacker dirtier gases that don,t burn off. Use dry hardwood to kindle and raise the temp.
If you start your fire with coal , you get a dirty low temp fire.If you put the coal into a well lit fire the coal gases burn off. Use the coal at the back below the baffle.
The airflow determines the temp, look at the vents and height of ashgrate.
fil

Right interesting, this thread - I've just had fitted a Westfire woodburner, and yup, the glass is getting blackened.
Good tip on using newspaper and woodash - much cheaper than using cleaning compounds :)

Having read this thread yesterday, I tried tinkering with the vent settings - the instruction manual is frankly fairly pants - but it's still sooting up the glass.
The wood is a mix of birch, sycamore, cypress, ash and oak, and the pile I'm working through is all at least 18 months since cut and stacked. It is exposed to the weather, and gets wet when it rains :rolleyes:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Did you get a proper flue made up for your stove? Condensation in a poor quality flue, or a leaking flue also reduces burn efficiency and encourages tar deposit.
Was the wood stacked up so air could flow right through it? If it was just in a loose heap the stuff in the middle is likely to be still damp and mouldy, especially the birch logs. Why not invest in a proper log store. Its amazing how much quicker the logs dry under cover....if you cant build a store at least stack the logs in walls with gaps between and put plywood or tarps over the top. LOL if you want to embarrass a log dealer simply ask what is the moisture content of their logs :bigok: :lmao::lmao::lmao: It should be around 20%.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Log storeage is very important, not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs.

I keep two airers like this one, each is approx 7'w x 6'h x 3'd. there are three stacks of logs in each. These were made from large pallets and believe me they are so heavy when empty it takes three people to move them.

IMG_0041.jpg

I also have a keep a free standing stack. although this is uncovered the wood will still season, however the wood will be transferd in to one of the airers for final drying.

IMG_00441.jpg

What you are ideally looking for as a sign of well seasoning is cracking and or the bark seperating from the wood, like this.

IMG_0042.jpg

I do confess to buying a moisture meter from Maplins, this was a great help in the early days of stove ownership, I do make regular checks of our wood piles and at the moment it is averaging about 15% which is ideal. One of these would frighten trhe life out of some log suppliers.

http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220803

Last edited:

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Crikey!

Well folks the combined knowledge of the forum has again astounded me! Thanks for all the help and I'm glad its not just me!

Think I'm going to have to make me a wood shelter! Might not be as established as yours though chopper!

Thanks again everyone!

Drew

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Think I'm going to have to make me a wood shelter! Might not be as established as yours though chopper!

Spend some time and a little money on screws when making an airer. Remember it will need to allow air to pass through freely and it will take a lot of punishment and be able to take a lot of weight. I will take a couple of pics of the back and sides to give you some ideas.

If you dont have the time to make one you can buy them in flat pack form from here: http://www.euroheat.co.uk/Ac/Log Stores/Accessories.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE