giving fibre-pile the kiss of life?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i was just looking at some of my older gear:

2 Buffalo sleeping bags 1 inner and 1 outer.
i also have 2 Mardale jackets (copy Buffalo).

they all started off as light and fluffy fibre-pile now after hard use the fibrepile fibres are matted and clumpy even after careful use.

now all the fibres are still there (i.e. not fallen out) just clumped together which is less bulky for packing but the insulation value is poor.

does anyone know of a way to refresh or breath new life into the fibres?

in human terms it would mean: loads of hair conditioner, combing out the tangles then a blowdry :roll: .

any ideas? :?:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
oops answered my own question with a quick search on the Buffalo website www.buffalosystems.co.uk :

"Regular washing helps maintain the performance of Buffalo products and keep your friends. It restores the loft of the pile fabric and separates the fibres, revitalising the performance. In the eventuality of the pile becoming matted even after washing, the fibres can easily be restored by brushing to separate the fibres".

(note to self: alway run a search first! then ask a question.)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
it's not as easy as it sounds: :shock:

"In the eventuality of the pile becoming matted even after washing, the fibres can easily be restored by brushing to separate the fibres"

my bag the fibre pile looks like the back of a sheep (i.e. matted clumps), i have found it's like triying to comb straight cotton wool, not easy, but it is alot easier to soak the item first!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE