Give us a hand!

Fox

May 24, 2008
Scotland
Hey there guys, I'm new to this site (only registered last night!) And I'm looking for some advice.......

I have previous filedcraft experience (check my blog for details) and I want to get out and do more of it. I'm wondering.....what is the best way to start a fire in a broadleaved/coniferous woodland and what materials to use if I want to cook an Army ration or 2 I choried from cadets!

Also, what equipment should I be taking with me???? I usually take my 2 knifes (swiss and one with a nice sharp blade), a lighter or 2, some string, water puritabs and I guess I'll need to take mess tins if I want to cook a meal!

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi Fox and welcome.

The basics for shelter that i take are a tarp, bivibag, warm hat and a good warm sleeping bag. One more very important thing is a good first aid kit if you are taking any kind of sharps with you.
Fire lighting is a huge topic and a good look around this site will give you all of the information you need.
On a last note fires in densely covered coniferous woodland can be a little risky as one stray ember can set the whole place a light. Always be paranoid with fires, clear a good size area and keep the fire small and never leave the fire unattended and make sure the fire is well put out with water before you leave.

Have fun and enjoy :)

Fox

May 24, 2008
Scotland
Thans for your help mate. Much appreciated. I usually dig a small hole to keep the fire contained and keep it out of the wind at the same time. Is that advisable would you say?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
It depends on the ground its self.. If in a coniferous or peaty area the fire can burn down as well as across. In my local haunt i have an old bit of mild steel plate on the floor and then set a fire on that. The best type of ground is a nice hard mud that will only bake and not catch light. If you can choose an area try to avoid dense coniferous woods but if not choose an area with less dead vegitation and make sure you chuck a few gallons of water on it before you leave :) If you need to keep the wind off your fire make a small fire guard on the windy side and this will also be handy for stacking up firewood to dry whilst providing a wind guard. Choosing your camp spot in a nice sheltered area helps. If the wind is very strong a fire can sometimes be a no go.

Hope that helps ;)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Jan 22, 2006
uk
its always good to just get out there and learn by your mistakes, you'll find that your techniques will differ from others and you'll be able to learn from them as they will from you - and you'll settle on the way that works a treat.
just taking a cheapo sleeping bag and spending the night somewhere under the stars is awesome. sod all the kit - you just dont need it! anything that was not as you'd like it - sort it next time you go out.
I dont even think you ned a knife really, just something to sleep on, a box of matches and maybe a survival bag to get in if it rains. my best nights out have been like that, a pasty or similar to eat.

good luck, you've come to the right place here - these people are an absolute font of knowledge.

Fox

May 24, 2008
Scotland
I'm hoping to do exactly that next weekend. I'll need to look out a bivi bag though! I found a nice little way to get a fire going and cook my meals the other day there. I'll still need to work on my mess tin placement though......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE