Girl nearly dies in a field??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I've just read in our local rag about a 17 year old girl who while walking home on a route I know well (along a couple lanes, cross a field, follow the stream for a hundred yards and back onto the road again), very nearly froze to death, and has been in a coma for five days. She was discovered by a dog walker, airlifted to hospital and was so near death that the doctors though she was a lost cause. And this was in one field, that did not even have snow in.
I just can't understand it... how do you freeze to death in a Devon field??
Your thoughts please :wave:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Short of her being anemic/anorexic/blacked out etc or just no body fat at all I do find that hard to understand....

Contrast it with a story on our local tv news a few weeks ago when we had that cold snap where a 6 year old lad wondered off from a campsite and ended up getting lost in the woods over night when the temp was down to freezing and below with wind chill....they sent out search and rescue and the little lad was found safe and well, if a little deshevelled and scared, the next afternoon....

Funny old world isn't it....? :?:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hypothermia is associated with the enviroment and energy levels. Young girlie not eating properly possibly having consumed too much booze. dehydrated and wearing the wrong clothing. its possible i guess.

Have yo got any more details like prevailing conditions?

Hope the girl makes a full recovery.

jakunen

Native
She was probably one of those extrememly fashionied totally anorexic supermodel-skinny girls. And if she was that close to the road...

Mind you, most young girls these days won't wear 'decent' clothign coz its not trendy. Apparently a micro skirt, high heel boots and a bolero/crop top are the only things to be seen dead in darling...Dead presumably being the operative word...

(I know, I'm getting very cynical in my old age...)

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
All that is by the by guys the point is you can become hypothermic anywhere where if conditions are right.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Gary said:
All that is by the by guys the point is you can become hypothermic anywhere where if conditions are right.

Absolutely right, most hypothermia accidents occur when the temperature is well above freezing. Its usually a combination of rain, wind, cool temperatures and a poor choice of clothing.

Been there, done that :nono:

simon

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Women have less body mass than men and are more at risk. As posted earlier, the human body begins to suffer from hypothermia at @ 40 degrees F. As she collapsed her entire body was in contact with the cold ground. Remember too that cold air sinks and the ambient temperature at ground level is even colder. Homeless people are often found deceased from simple exposure to the elements and even people stranded somehow die looking at the twinkling lights of los Angeles . Mother Nature doesn't stop at some magic demarcation line of asphalt, concrete and steel.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
simonsays said:
Absolutely right, most hypothermia accidents occur when the temperature is well above freezing. Its usually a combination of rain, wind, cool temperatures and a poor choice of clothing.

I agree totally. Also not having enough fuel in the tank (food)
The young ones are also more susceptible to dehydration etc.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
A sad story. Yes it seems we are both strong and fragile. As many accounts of people surviving conditions beyond-extreme, even doctors wonder how, and on the other hand people falling victim to circumstances almost normal, immediately one thinks: "silly to die like this...could easily have been avoided...".

To me these things often appear a mystery. The human body...

Like some of you have said, sometimes a combination of factors create lethal conditions. The SAS say the worst possible scenario weatherwise is for instance, Scotland below snow line in windy/rainy weather: wet-cold-windy, a 3-factor cocktail. This is where they often train.

Above snowline, you have only two factors, cold-windy, down in the plain you also have only 2 factors, wet-cold.

We tend to think you have to be in Antarctica to face dangerous conditions yet the truth is very different. But I obviously share your amazement at how this young girl died.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi
one needs more information of the case. But I could believe that she was drunk, had drugs was depressed after a fight with her boyfriend thrown out of a car etc etc and the rest what of my fellow bushcrafters are saying. Skinny, wrong cloth maybe friday night coming from a party or disco. Wind, rain etc is doing the rest.
Its a sad story but I heard someone saying that there are no punishment only consequence and that is right here too. Hope she will make it and learns something for the future. :?:

cheers
Abbe

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Sorry I should have said, she has made a full recovery, and doctors checked and found no drugs or alcohol in her at all.
It reminds me of a story one of our american members (sorry, don't remember who) posted about hikers who were wandering in tight circles mere yards from a road for days... are we become so alienated from the wilderness that we are that helpless?

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
slightly off topic - but a large percentage of car accident victims are admitted to hospital with hypothermia (or at least the beginnings of it). You're driving along in your nice warm car, dressed in shirt sleeves, climate control nice and warm when boom - in come the windows and suddenly you're lying there in the cold. half an hour later (or three hours if you live where I do and you're lucky!) you're in an ambulance on your way to hospital - but not before you've lost so much heat you're becoming hypothermic.

We tend to dress for what we expect when we get where we're going, not what we might encounter on the way.

george

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
arctic hobo said:
[A]re we become so alienated from the wilderness that we are that helpless?

In 1964, my SAR team found a man in his late 20's in perfectly good condition but walking steadily north in the Sierra-Nevada Range -- under the imprerssion that he was going east towards a major highway. Mind you, the mountains clearly run north-south, and there is that little matter of the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. He didn't seem like a dolt, but "alienated" seems a good description.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
arctic hobo said:
Sorry I should have said, she has made a full recovery, and doctors checked and found no drugs or alcohol in her at all.
It reminds me of a story one of our american members (sorry, don't remember who) posted about hikers who were wandering in tight circles mere yards from a road for days... are we become so alienated from the wilderness that we are that helpless?

That sounds fishy to me. A young healthy person, even inadequately clad, should not have succumbed so close to safety in familiar territory. The things that might get a person into trouble so close to 'home' would be:
a) disorienting occurrence, such as a complete white-out blizzard.
b) fall into frigid water.
c) other disabling accident.
d) alcohol/drugs.
e) medical trauma (e.g., heart attack, stroke, epilepsy, diabetes, etc.).

Sometimes, even the 'wrong' clothing can save one's life. There was a case (probably over 20 years ago now) where motorists where stranded by a sudden blizzard (in Scotland, somewhere, as I recall). One was a commercial traveller in ladies' underwear. He kept hypothermia at bay until he was rescued by wrapping himself in scores and scores of tights and various skimpy undergarments.

I trust everyone keeps spare warm and waterproof clothing; gloves; woolly hats; wellies; tow rope; jump leads; torch; etc. in their cars at this time of the year?

Burnt Ash

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
The warning signs of hypothermia go a long way to explain how she could collapse so close to safety. Once hypothermia sets in, action needs to be taken to get warm. If the ability to get warm isn't available, either through circumstance, lack of ability, or both, you can pretty much kiss your behind goodbye unless there are people with you that know what to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE