Gin Gan Goo

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Or better known as "English Rarebit"

This is an old recipe we us a lot at re-enactment events because it's cheap, flexible, easy and very satisfying.

You need a good sized pot, I usually use one of these but it could be done in a large billy.

cauldron.jpg

First empty in a can or bottle of beer.

Then cut a good sized lump of cheese into chunks and drop them into the beer.

Now get a pot of mustard and add to the mix by taste. I usually use half a pot of whole grain mustard which seems to do the trick.

Stir the mixture together until the cheese melts then invite everyone to dip their bread / bannock etc. in the mixture until the pot is empty.

Great stuff. :D

One of the reasons this is so popular with our lot is that there are so many variations.

As we travel around we try to get a local cheese, a local beer and sometimes even a local mustard.

Quantities are quite "bish bosh that'll do" so anyone can be given the job of preparing it, and if you can get some nice fresh bread to dip in there I guarantee it'll put smiles on a few faces.

Be prepared for rehab afterwards though.....It's quite addictive. ;)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Fantastic stuff.

It didn't last long when Wayland produced this at Achray, and my kids badger me to make it all the time. Probably a genetic fondness for the taste of the beer.:rolleyes:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Looks very much like it.
I've persuaded work that I have a "prior commitment" that I absolutely cannot miss running from thursday until monday :D
I'm looking forward to it.
:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE