Gilpin axe refurbish

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Another boot market buy from a few weeks ago.
A Gilpin Dunn Mills Warranted axe, it has had a hard life as someone has used it as a splitting tool, been bashed with a hammer so I ground the poll back some, I used an 80 mm flapper disc to remove some light rust and sharpened it using files and some wet and dry and a strop.
Next I put a new handle on it that I carved a while back, it needs to be a bit thinner so I'll sand it down a bit more when I have some spare time.
I like the shape of the handle at the top as you can choke up on it when carving, which this axe seems to do well, I reckon there are many more years of use in it so it was good to bring it back to life.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks guys, Mrs Hugo actually got hold of the axe for me, I went back for a further Two better ones. OK I was in bed when the first was bought, ha ha.
The world war one entrenching toll that I got a few weeks before cleaned up with a flapper disc, had to knock out a metal sleeve that had a hole in it so as to take a nail, no need for that as it woks fine without it.
Could have found a better piece of wood for a handle, I'll change it when I find a good piece.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE