Gift ideas neeed for my Dad

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Hi all,

Its my Dad's birthday next month and rather than the usual power tools, chocolate and beer I was thinking of making him a gift.

I'm resonably good at carving wood and etching in names etc, some leatherwork, general carpentry stuff and well as making food items such as chutneys, jams etc. I'd also be willing to try something new and keep the beer etc in reserve!

All suggestions seriously considered!!

Thanks

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
not to make any asumptions on you fathers abilitys, but have you thought about a walking/stick,pole,staff thing, you could incorporate alot of carving into one of those, i've been looing at the stickman site lately, no affiliation, just a load of good stuff.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
If he's got loads of tools etc....a leather tool belt?
or just make a nice leather belt with an inscription on the inside facing him (*name, Loving father of 'Harmonica') or some thing to lighten the mood like 'No1 DAD' on the back so every one can see as he walks past ;)
We can see you are putting some thought into it....and i'm sure he will to.

Mojo

SBreen

Nov 23, 2009
Prague - CZ
Might be a bad idea, but what about a selection of chutneys/Jams in a handmade box? You could make it 100% unique.

Cheers, Simon

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Well i made him what I described as a 'DIY ploughmans
as lunch kit - just add cheese and a ploughman'. It contained blackcurrant jam, onion marmalade, tomato chutney, pickled beetroot and a loaf of home baked bread.

He loved it so now I am thinking of continuing the home made gift concept for Christmas. I am being made redundant soon so will have quite a bit of time on my hands while I find another job.

So far I am continuing my preserving exploits to form the basis of some gifts and have decided to make a wading staff thumb stick for a friend of mine who likes fishing.

Does anyone have any other ideas for things I could forgage/preserver or make over the next few months?

Thanks

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brilliant Harmonica,

All blokes love sweets - why not make him a selection (bullseyes, acid drops, turkish delight etc.)

Pickled onions are a favourite - and home made mustard

Home made soap is easy - and you can make it manly with nice bloke smells (like pine tar, sandlewood etc.) and scrubby contents (pumic, oat bran etc.) if he works with his hands

Make some handmade paper to arap them in too

I have published pictorial guides to most of these, but if I can help - please say

Definitely like the idea of wooden boxes to put it in too (but I can't manage that)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE