Giants Seat meet 19th - 21st April, Sign Up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hey guys

The dates for the next Giants Seat meet are 19th - 21st of April. The Site info is below including location, and rules etc.

Please read through these BEFORE adding your name to the list.

I cant wait to get out under the tarp again (although hopefully we wont need em')

As usual copy and paste your names to the list

Dave

Giants Seat is located off Ringley Road West.
This is the A667, which runs between Whitefield (Manchester) and Kearsley (Bolton).
The campsite is between the villages of Outwood and Ringley.
Distance from M60 Junction 17 - 3 miles (10 minutes).

Grid reference (of entrance from Ringley Road West) - SD 774 055 GB Grid

Address:
Ringley Road West
Radcliffe
Manchester
M26 1EW

Sat Nav users enter M26 1DY and keep following the track to the end, bearing left where it splits

Or paste this into Google

53.53995,-2.342162

About the Site

The site is a functioning scout camp, we are lucky enough to have built a great relationship with the warden and are pretty much given free reign.

There are 10,000 standing Tree’s majority Oak although there are birch and beech on the site as well as a few others.

There is a VERY large field that can be used for tents etc. this is flanked by woods on both sides. Also at the bottom of the field is another wooded area ALL of which is scout land. The boundary on the left (looking down the field with Martin Lodge behind you) is the stream. On the right the boundary is the road that runs towards the garden centre. At the bottom the boundary is where the rail track meet the Motorway. The site as a whole covers 54 acres, so there is no issue with space.

There is a fully functional Shower block with 3 electric showers, sinks, urinals and 5 toilets. There is also access to drinking water on the site.

There are a few rules that need to be followed to allow us all to have a good time without damaging the relationship that we have built Please take a few mins to read through this post to familiarise yourselves as failure to adhere to these rules may mean you being asked to leave the site

Thanks in advance

Dave Bromley

G.M.B.G

Giants Seat Rules

*Please pay Subs when you arrive, its £5 per night per person. (i'm there for a good time too so dont want to have to chase people please)

*NO GROUND FIRES - there is extensive leaf mould so all fires must be raised

*We can take as much deadwood as we like BUT IT MUST BE DEAD if in doubt leave it alone

*The Flag circle is out of bound (no exceptions)

*Sharps and alcohol dont mix so no drunken sillyness (by all means have a drink just dont overdo it)

*Sharps to be sheathed unless in use

*any Guests or Minors are the responsibility of the relevant Member

*There is ample room if you want to be away from the group by all means do so.

*All litter must be removed from site, there is NO site bin so if you brought it with you take it out or burn it please (not whilst others are cooking)

* Toilet blocks are to be left clean! (offering to do these will be of great help as I usually get left to do them)

* oh and last but most important ...........................HAVE FUN!!

I know a lot of these wont apply to everyone on here, but better to be safe than sorry

Thanks guys and i look forward to seeing you there

Dave

kendalphil

Jan 16, 2011
kendal cumbria
hi dave.
please could you add my name to your list
can't wait to be under the stars agan
can i ask if any of the more experienced members are planning to give any lectures or talks.
sorry for being a pain but stiil on the learning curve
regards kendalphil.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
1. Dave
2. Cliv
3. Bilmo
4.Kendalphil

There you go phil, you gonna bring paul along?

there may be some people who are willing to do the odd workshop, might do one myself yet lol, you never know your luck.

Dave

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Hello! Just joined up, also just started getting into Bushcrafting :)

Hopefully by April I'll have gained enough confidence/competence to commit to joining if I'm welcome, but I don't get much free time to myself these days, so we'll see.

Looking forward to participating if I can, so I'll let you know.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hello! Just joined up, also just started getting into Bushcrafting :)

Hopefully by April I'll have gained enough confidence/competence to commit to joining if I'm welcome, but I don't get much free time to myself these days, so we'll see.

Looking forward to participating if I can, so I'll let you know.

More than welcome Max would be great to see you there

Dave

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Sorry dave working this weekend. May try to get up on the fri for a brew.

Yeah buddy brew sounds good, shame you'll miss this weekend.

Been approached by one of the members who has asked if we would like a net making tutorial, i said YES please so should be making purse nets or the like in april!!!

Dave

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Hi Dave, can you add my name to the list please?

I've booked Sunday off work, so I'll be down early Saturday afternoon until Sunday hopefully!

...that leaves me a month to find an affordable tarp & bivvybag hah!

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Still planning to attend!

Can I just ask...how flat is the land especially in the wooded areas?

I'm planning to bring a small tent or, if the weather's nice, just a tarp and bivi, but I'd like to pitch amongst the trees. Is the ground fairly free from lumps and bumps/not too sloped?

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
You just need to pick your spot, Max. There's everything from dead level to 45 degree slope. With the family set-up, I can usually find a flat bit big enough for a 25' x 18' tarp with all of us and our kit underneath.

Reading back through the thread, I notice you said you were looking for a tarp and bivvy bag. If you 're still looking, drop me a PM, and I'll send you some contact details for kit.

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE